45

School ends for the seniors and I go to Mr

School ends for the seniors and I go to Mr. Thomas' class to pay for the rest of the Paris trip.

I wait for all the other students to walk out before I go in. "Hello, Mr. Thomas."

"My favorite student! How are you, doll?"

"I'm fine, thank you. Um, I'm here to turn in the rest of the France money. Thank you for giving me so much time."

"Ah! No need. Your whole trip has been paid for, along with your brothers."

My face drops in confusion. "Huh?"

"Yes, anonymously. Here's your and Sage's money back." He walks up to me and puts the envelope filled with cash in my hand.

I'm speechless.

"The whole plane ticket and the hotel have been covered. Trust me," Mr. Thomas assures.

"I— who did it?" I finally muster out.

He shrugs. "Can't say. I do have a doctor's appointment though so I'll see you Thursday."

Mr. Thomas waits for me to move but I won't budge due to confusion so he puts his hand on my lower back and guides me out the door. Locking his classroom, he pats me on the back before leaving the building.

Who the hell would pay for my trip?

My phone vibrates and I gradually pull it out to see Sage asking me where I am. Lost in my mind, I slowly walk to the car.

I hop in the passenger seat and stare out the front window.

"You're not mad at me are you?" Sage asks, pulling out of the school parking lot.

I continue staring, thinking.

"Lavender." He snaps his fingers in my face.

"What?"

"I asked if you're mad at me."

"For what?" I ask.

"Yesterday."

"I don't think so."

He takes a moment to stare at me. "Are you okay? What's in the envelope?"

"Did you pay for the trip?"

"I only gave Mr. Thomas a couple hundred bucks for now, why?"

"Someone paid for us. Both of us. Completely. Mr. Thomas gave us our cash back," I voice.

I think my eyebrows might permanently stay creased, I haven't moved them since inside.

Sage's face clouds with confusion as well. "Huh?"

"I don't know."

Sage slowly pulls up into our driveway. He turns off the car and leans back in his seat, his fingers tapping the steering wheel. "You don't think—"