19

I take the car to my work and Harper meets me there

I take the car to my work and Harper meets me there. When I work, If Sage doesn't have to go to his job then I usually take the car and he finds another ride home or walks sometimes if he's bored out of his mind.

I park and Harper stands watch as I change in the backseat of my car.

Pushing open the back door, I tie my shoes. Stepping out of the car, I lock it up and walk into the sandwich shop with my best friend.

Harper gets the spicy Italian and I get the veggie delight.

We walk into the bookstore where I work and sit in the cafe and eat before I have to clock in.

"What did you want from Theo this morning?" I ask her, sipping my strawberry soda.

"Nothing? He just came up to me randomly and said he's excited to go costume shopping on Wednesday."

I knew it. "Sorry, I hope that's okay."

Harper shrugs, "It's fine, I invited Lynn. I hope that's okay."

As long as she doesn't invite Mr. Know-it-all. "Yeah, that's fine. I like Lynn."

"Does she work today?"

"Not today," I reply.

She wipes off her mouth with a napkin and leans forward. "I know we made pacts to never get back with our exes but I mean— c'mon. I think I'm gonna go for it."

My jaw drops. "Harper, no."

"Please! We technically weren't even dating, we just made out a couple... hundred times," she tries.

"I'm gonna have to punch you in the nose." I point a finger at her.

Harper gasps and covers her nose. "No!"

I shrug and lean back. "That was the deal."

She throws her head on the table and reaches up for me. "Lovey, please!"

"Harper Rose Solana."

She sits straight up. "Don't ever say my government name ever again."

I smile wide at her.

"What should we be for Halloween? It has to be something sexy for the party and another one for taking my little sister trick or treating." She rolls her eyes. "I think I should be a fairy and you should be a pirate. You'd look so cute in the little corset thingy."

I laugh and take one last sip of my drink. "Okay, we'll talk about it later. I gotta go clock in."

We grip each other's hands until I'm too far to reach. "Miss you already," she shouts at me.

I clock in, tie on my apron, and put in one AirPod. I take the cart of new arrivals and go to add them to the shelves.

"Excuse me," I hear a high-pitched voice from behind me.