23

I walk to my locker to grab my backpack and Elijah follows, of course

I sniffle as I shut my locker and walk to psychology.

"Are you getting sick?" he asks.

"I said no talking."

"I'm just making sure you're okay." Elijah shrugs.

I rub my temples, hoping it'll help with my headache. "I don't need you to, okay? I got it."

When we arrive, I take my seat closest to the wall and continue to massage my temples.

I zone out as the teacher reviews body language.

I tried going off my meds a few weeks ago. I haven't told anyone yet because I wanted to see how it played out. I thought it was going so well but I feel so off today. I hope that it's just me getting sick.

I'm just so exhausted from having to rely on a pill to be happy. I am so much more than a stupid drug.

I run my hands over my face and then rest my forehead completely on the table.

I stay like that for a few minutes before I hear Mrs. Port speak. "Mr. Rivera."

"Hm?"

"Is Miss Lavender more important than my lesson?"

Confused, I slowly lift my head and turn around to see Elijah staring at me.

"I mean..." he trails off with a tilt of his head, not breaking eye contact.

I hear a couple of scattered giggles from around the classroom. I immediately face forward and sink into my seat.

"Pay attention. That goes for you too Miss Quinn. Head up please," she gestures with her hands.

I sigh and prop my head up on my hand. I take out a notebook and a pencil to scribble some notes but I can't focus.

My leg bounces under the table and I feel overstimulated. I take out my water and sip a huge amount. I can't sit still and I feel nauseous so I decide to ask for the restroom.

I raise my hand and Mrs. Port comes over. "May I use the restroom?"

She nods her head and I immediately stand and make my way out to the restroom.

I quickly check under all the stalls and when I'm sure it's clear, I stand in front of the mirror and stare at myself.

I take a deep breath and look up so any tears forming won't fall.

Crying at school is the worst. Especially since my eyes and nose get red and glossy, completely noticeable.

I give up and cover my face with my hands, resting my elbows on the sink. "Shit," I whisper to myself, barely audible.