24

The bell rings and I want to get out of there as soon as possible

The bell rings and I want to get out of there as soon as possible. I throw my backpack over my shoulder, not even caring to put it on correctly, and walk out.

I head to my locker and throw all my books into my backpack, needing them for studying and homework.

I feel a knock on my locker so I look over to see Harper. "I forgot I promised Claire to help her study bio. If she doesn't get her grade up she can't Cheer. I'm sorry."

I shake my head with a small smile on my face. "It's okay."

"I'll text you. I can't wait for tomorrow!" She bounces her shoulders and gives me a wide smile.

I wave to her bye as I lock up my locker.

"I need the car," I recognize Sage's voice behind me.

I turn around so I'm leaning against my locker. "Um no, I have to get to work."

"I told Melissa I would watch her volleyball practice," he groans.

"Okay? Get a ride with her?"

"No, I'm staying so she can get a ride with me."

"That's not my problem. I have a job, I need money."

"Okay? That's not my problem you spent over $100 at that fancy store."

"Okay? And I'm not the one who made plans with a junior I barely even hang out with," I mock his tone.

"I grabbed the keys out of your backpack when you were turned around." He flashes me the keys and walks away.

My jaw drops. "Sage!"

He begins to walk backward as he turns to look at me. "There's plenty of people here who are willing to give you a ride!" He shrugs and jogs off.

I throw my hands up in the air, frustrated. Honestly whatever because I was thinking about walking anyways.

I readjust my backpack and walk out of the school. Putting in my headphones, I turn up my music and begin walking to my job. I'd like to say I'm a pretty fast walker so it should only take like twenty-thirty minutes or so which is fine because I have fifty minutes before I have to clock in.

I watch my feet as I walk. I take out my water bottle and finish the last few sips before crushing it in my hands. As I walk, I throw the crushed bottle in the air and continue catching it to keep myself occupied.

I think I'm halfway there when a black car slowly follows me from behind. I'm about to run the opposite way when I notice the car. You've got to be kidding me.

I don't pay any attention to it and keep walking straight. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the window roll down as it keeps my speed.

"I can give you a ride," I hear.