17

It's Monday morning and my alarm goes off at five-forty a

It's Monday morning and my alarm goes off at five-forty a.m., twenty minutes earlier than usual.

I harshly push the 'stop' button. I plan to fall back asleep for a few minutes until I remember I forgot to shower last night. I groan knowing I have work after school too.

I hate showering in the morning. If you don't schedule correctly, you'll feel like you've missed something the whole day because you rushed. Plus, I hate wet hair.

I sit up and rub my eyes. Taking my phone off the charger, I slowly walk out of my bedroom and to the bathroom.

I finish my ten-minute shower so I start to brush my hair, brush my teeth, wash my face, and rub on lotion.

Rubbing a little moose into my hands, I run them through my hair and twist.

Going back to my room, I put 'Rihanna' on my speaker as I sit at my vanity and check the time. I see it's a little past six a.m. so I decide to start my makeup. I apply moisturizer and do my normal routine consisting of light concealer, blush, mascara, eyebrow gel, and powder.

I used to have a much larger makeup routine at the beginning of high school but once I got to junior year, I kinda just stopped caring. I also started having a lot more depressive episodes so maybe that had something to do with it.. oh well.

Since I have more time, I take a bit longer on my lips. Leaning forward to get an up-close view in the mirror, I line my lips with the liner Harper gifted me. Applying lipstick very similar to my natural lip color, I rub them together and add my strawberry combo on top.

I spray my face with setting spray and hope it'll last for work. Getting up, I go through my clothes and put on my regular uniform along with dark blue knee-high socks for the autumn weather, my favorite.

Going back to my closet, I pick out the brown jeans I tried on at that store Saturday, a lighter brown sweater, and some white Converse to take with me in the car to change after school.

I tie my low-heeled chunky Oxford shoes and spray on vanilla perfume. It's past six-thirty so I turn up my music louder, Sage likes to get ready with it too.

Going back to the bathroom, I fix my hair with the time I have left. I re-twist the sections of my hair and leave it to dry.

I go back into my room and take my clothes and backpack downstairs with me.

I look over into the kitchen from the bottom of the stairs and see a brand-new pack of colored pencils and a mandala coloring book. A look mixed with disappointment and anger paints my face.

That's my mother's way of apologizing: gifts. I don't think she's ever apologized sincerely or verbally, for that matter.

I throw some bread in the toaster and prep my fruit for avocado toast.

Spreading the green mush on the toast, I eye the new gifts sitting at the edge of the island. I don't need them but I do want them. Just like an apology. I don't need one but I want one. I let out a frustrated breath before taking the book and pencils and shoving them in my backpack.