42

I open my front door and run to the bathroom, washing the paint off my hands

I don't know why I feel anxious, excited even.

Going to my bedroom, I sit at my vanity. I apply my normal light makeup routine.

As I'm brushing on my blush, Sage pops up in my doorway. "I'm going to work."

"Okay," I mumble, curling my lashes.

"And who are you getting ready for?" Sage asks.

I sigh and look over at him as I open my mascara. "Can't a girl get ready for herself? Don't be sexist."

"I— you are the most annoying person I know."

"Goodbye, Sage." I reach to the side and shut the door on him.

I finish with my lip liner and gloss.

Going to my closet, I find the closest thing to cute but not uncomfortable.

I throw on a light grey v-neck crop top and light-washed mid-rise jeans. I tie on black Converse and fix my hair up a little bit. Deciding to leave it in double braids, I fix my two front pieces.

I stare at myself in the mirror and double-check my outfit.

Oh jeez, why am I nervous?

I spray my new perfume and grab my phone along with my shoulder purse before going downstairs.

I walk over to Elijah's house and take a deep breath before knocking on the door.

Daphne opens it wearing a green oversized sweater and a black miniskirt. "You're too cute," she says, letting me in.

I love Daphne, she's so sweet.

"You don't have to knock any more, hon. Feel free to come over anytime."

"Thank you, Daph. I like your outfit."

She gasps and gives me a little twirl before sitting down on the couch. "Thank you," she sings.

I sit next to her and watch the cartoons on the television for Giselle who's eating a popsicle on the rug.

"Who's car are we taking?" I ask.

"My boyfriend's," she smiles wide at the mention. "He's picking us up soon."

"That's cute. What's his name again?"

"Chris." If even possible, she smiles even wider. "I really like him."

"I can tell. I've never seen you smile so much." I mimic her expression.

"Mhm." Daphne bites down on her smile. "What about you and Elijah?"

My smile immediately fades and I readjust in my seat. "What about us?"

"Well, he asked you out, no? Isn't it a date?"

My eyes go wide. "Why? Did he say anything? Is this supposed to be a date?"