18

Taking my seat closest to the door, I pull out my pencil, math workbook, and notebook

The actual bell rings, signaling class has started.

"Good Monday morning students. I was up early so I did get my coffee and my husband and I made love for the first time in five months, so I'm in a very good mood," Mrs. Stan starts.

My eyes go wide at her last few words. What a way to start the day.

"I'm exhausted so today's going to be an easy day. Turn to page eighty-six and work on questions eight to six, okay?" She laughs to herself.

When nobody laughs, she clicks her tongue and walks to sit behind her desk. "Whatever. Do question eight all the way through until you hit question six on the next page. Work in partners or something, just get the work done."

The class erupts in quiet conversations and I softly sigh as I open my workbook to the said pages.

Already on question twelve, I feel someone's hand in my hair. I look at my shoulder to see a hand move my hair off it, tucking it behind my ear.

"I finished that book you were talking about, it was really good," Elijah whispers near my ear.

I slowly turn my head back to my workbook and bite back a huge smile.

Taking my seat in English class, Mr. Johnson explains how we must write an essay on someone who changed our lives. I absolutely love deep topics.

We spent the rest of the period working on it. I add it in my notes that it's due next Monday.

In social studies, Mr. Morgan explains a newly assigned partner project to us.

"I want you guys to make a storyboard and an essay on a person who made a difference," he begins, "I'm not talking no Dr. Martin Luther King or Abraham Lincoln, okay? I'm talking about an underrated individual. It doesn't have to be a long essay, the least is five paragraphs though. I'll assign partners then you use the class period to research a person and come talk to me once you got it. The final assignment is due Friday, end of this week."

He leans on his desk and starts pulling two pieces of paper out of a bowl.

"Carmen and Haven," he lists.

He continues listing names and I rest my head on my hand. I hear Harper's name and I perk my head up a bit.

"Harper and Sage. Looks like the universe is in your favor today," Mr. Morgan explains.

I don't mind this class because Harper and Sage are in it. It's fun with them.

"Elijah and Lavender. Ooh, not so much for you two though."