Chapter 3

Isla cradled little Callie with her good arm as Caleb and Sierra went into the gas station to use the bathroom. She had a cast on the other arm, but she was still able to use it without too much pain.

Callie was adorable. She was six months old and blonde like her dad. She had slept most of the drive, but they had stopped to stretch, and that included the baby.

Isla had grown very fond of Callie over the past few days. She had been healing for the better part of a week, helping Sierra and Caleb pack as they prepared for the move.

Living with them was peaceful. She had never felt such peace before. Even if Callie woke up in the middle of the night, Isla slept better on their couch than she had ever slept anywhere.

Isla shook the rattle as she walked around the grassy area, enjoying the cool breeze and the stretch in her legs.

"You shouldn't be carrying her. She's up against your bruised ribs," Caleb said. He didn't reach for the baby, so she kept her close.

"I don't mind," she said. "We both needed some air."

Caleb grinned. He was fairly handsome, with blonde hair that matched Callie's and deep green eyes. He was tall and lanky, in a nerdy kind of way, with round glasses that made his eyes pop. Most days he wore contacts, but she liked the glasses on him.

"Thanks again for driving my car," Isla said, finally handing Callie over to him.

"No problem. I figured you would be better company to Sierra than me," he joked. "Plus, I can listen to the radio as loud as I want without waking up our Callie Cat."

He cooed at his daughter, tossing her up in the air until she gave a gummy smile.

"You smell like you need a diaper change," he said to Callie.

"And then I will need to feed her before we get back on the road," Sierra said, joining them.

---

"Caleb said that I would be better company than him," Isla told absentmindedly to Sierra. The conversation had long since faded when Callie finally fell asleep. She had a bit of a diaper rash from sitting in her seat, and there had been some tears for awhile.

Sierra gave a short laugh. "Yeah, nine hours with him, we would most definitely fight."

Isla's gaze shifted from the window to her friend. She repeated the word, furrowing her brows.

"Fight as in get frustrated, nothing physical. That's not normal, Isla," she said gently. "Neither is yelling at each other. Caleb and I can get irritated with each other. It's expected with a new baby, a new job, and a new house."

Isla didn't know that relationships could be so fluid. She always imagined them being two extremes, like the one her parents had, or perfection. Perfect isn't real, though, and that's why she's always had a hard time believing in love.

"But you still love each other?" she asked softly.

"My love for Caleb grows every minute of every day. I know that he is my soulmate, and becoming parents is the best gift we could ever have."

"Callie is lucky to have you."

"And we're lucky to have you. You've been such a blessing the past week. I don't know if Caleb and I could have packed up in such a short time without you."

Isla shook her head. They were the real blessings. Sierra pretty much saved her life, and for the first time, she could see herself in the future. She could finally be optimistic about what was to come, no matter how fearful she felt.

"Why did Caleb get a job in this town?" Isla asked curiously.

"My mom and my brother are there. Having Callie really made me miss my family. It feels like everyday she learns something new, or something changes, and I just wish they could be there."

Sierra had really given her a new prospective on everything. Isla had always assumed that all families were like hers, but the love they had for Callie and each other didn't show that. Isla was still so confused.

They exited the freeway, and the road became rougher. Every bump made her jostle and ache.

"Are you okay?" Sierra asked.

Isla nodded. Sierra always seemed to notice her changes in emotions. She was very empathetic.

"It shouldn't be too much longer," she said.