Chapter 19

The paved path was quiet, apart from Sierra's bits of chattering as she pushed the stroller. Caleb walked contentedly beside her, nodding along.

Aedric gave Isla's hand that was clasped with his a little swing. She looked up and smiled.

Angela was with them too, just ahead a little ways.

"The weather is great," Isla said, to no one in particular.

"The perfect weather for a picnic," Sierra agreed.

The path looped around a small pond, and eventually the group came upon an empty picnic table.

Sierra spread out a tablecloth, and Caleb set the bag of food he was carrying down. Angela had a small cooler under her arm.

"This was a good idea, mom," Sierra said, fixing herself a sandwich. She a put a few cheerios on Callie's tray. "I love this park."

"You guys have been working so hard to settle. I know you need fresh air," Angela said.

"I think we finally have every single furniture piece in place," Caleb said, opening a bag of potato chips.

"Now, it's just the decorating," Sierra said.

"I don't think it's ever going to get done," Isla teased.

Aedric chuckled.

Sierra was very particular about the way things looked. She had every right to be since this was her first house, but the couch could only be moved so many different ways.

Sierra narrowed her eyes at her, throwing a wrapper her away. Isla muffled her laugh.

Isla felt warm, happy even. It felt good to be around people that cared about her.

Aedric's hand skimmed Isla's back as she finished eating. She gathered her trash, and he stacked it with his own.

"Come on," he said softly. "Let's take a walk."

Isla nodded.

Sierra smiled. "We'll meet you guys at the playground in a bit."

"Okay," Aedric agreed, taking Isla's hand as they stood up.

They followed the path until it branched. Aedric steered them to the right.

"There's a bridge up ahead," Aedric said.

This path was much quieter, and the sound of water soothed Isla as they came up on a small creek.

"Wow," Isla said, sinking down onto the edge of the short bridge. It was just a couple of feet above the stream. Aedric sat down next to her.

"Do you have something on your mind?" he asked.

She caught his eye, ducking her head to hide her smile. "No," she mumbled. "I'm just happy."

"Yeah?" Aedric grinned, gently lifting her chin to face him. He brushed some hair away from her cheeks.

"Yeah," she confirmed. He bent his head to kiss her smiling lips. "Being here with all of you, I've never felt like I've had a place before."

"In some ways, I've felt the same," Aedric admitted.

"Your mom told me about how you were adopted."

He nodded. "I love my mom, and I love Sierra, but there was a part of me that never felt right, not until I met you."

Isla cupped his cheeks, pulling him closer until their lips met. She moved her hands to his hair, tangling her fingers in it.

"Wow," he said when she released him, mimicking what she had said earlier.

She giggled, feeling the heat rush up her neck.

His thumb skimmed her swollen lips.

"You're so beautiful," he said, still breathless from the kiss. "But, we better get up before someone comes along."

He stood, helping her up.

She looped her arm with his as they finished their walk. The trail looped back to the main path.

"How about dinner at my place tomorrow?" Aedric asked.

"You cook?" Isla remembered he had briefly mentioned watching Angela cook as a child.

"Better than Sierra," he bragged, his handsome smile still brightening his features.

"I don't know about that," she teased. "But dinner sounds good."

Caleb was pushing Callie in a swing, while Angela chatted animatedly to Sierra who was seated on a swing of her own. The playground was surprisingly empty despite the beautiful weather.

Isla took the swing next to Sierra.

Sierra smiled at her. "Do you want to see who can swing the highest?" She pushed off, already getting a head start.

"I don't know how to," Isla said. When she had recess during elementary school, she was usually too hurt or too embarrassed to be around the other kids. The swingsets were always so popular, and her bruises always made her feel so out of place. She usually kept to herself.

"It's easy," Aedric told her, stepping in front of her. He took her legs, and she gave a soft laugh. 

"In when you go back," he said, gently folding her legs. "And straighten when you go forward." He extended her legs out, his thumb gently skimming her ankle before he released her.

"Just watch me," Sierra said, catching Isla's attention that had been captivated by the man in front of her.

She copied Sierra's motion, enjoying the cool breeze and the sunshine that warmed her inside and out.