Chapter 17

Isla squinted at the clock as she sat up. It was after midnight. Her and Aedric had fallen asleep, and it was Callie who had woken her up.

She shuffled off of Aedric who didn't stir, leaving her room to go to Callie's nursery. Sierra and Caleb both were in there.

"Hey, sorry," Sierra apologized, stepping closer to the doorway. Even in the low light, the bags under her eyes were evident. "We didn't mean to wake you."

"It's okay. It's not your fault. What's going on?"

"She's running a fever, and seems to be congested. She hasn't fallen asleep for more than thirty minutes tonight," she sighed.

"I can take over for a bit," Isla offered. "I fell asleep right after work, so I've already got several hours in me. You and Caleb should get some rest."

Sierra smiled, glancing behind her at Aedric who shuffled in sleepily. He yawned.

"I had no idea you were even here," Sierra smiled. "Does this mean-?"

"It means I'll stay up with Isla while you two take a break," Aedric said.

Sierra rolled her eyes.

"She really wasn't hungry. I've been trying to get her to drink her milk," Sierra said. "I'll take her to the doctor first thing. I really am sorry. I didn't mean to ruin your night."

"It's okay. That's why we're here," Isla said. "We'll take care of it."

"Don't let us sleep long," Caleb said. "Just give us an hour."

Callie had pretty much cried herself out, softening to little sniffles and hiccups. Isla sat with her in the rocking chair. The gentle motion soothed them both.

Aedric sat on the floor with his back against the wall, and his legs stretched out in front of him.

Callie was asleep within minutes, but Isla knew it wouldn't last long. It was just because Sierra had been able to suck some of the snot out, giving the baby temporary relief.

She was definitely flushed and sweaty against Isla's chest. The poor thing.

"Do you want to move her to her crib?" Aedric asked.

"I don't think I can," Isla admitted, not wanting to move and wake her.

Aedric stood, taking Callie from her, and effortlessly placing her down like magic. She always woke up when Isla tried to do that.

Isla took the baby monitor, and they stepped out for a little bit. Sierra's kitchen was a wreck, and it seemed like she and Aedric both had the same idea as he started on the dishes and she put some of the stuff away.

"I wasn't planning on waking them," Isla said. "They looked like the walking dead."

Aedric chuckled. "Unless Callie gets snotty again, because I will not use that sucking thing."

Isla gave a soft laugh, dropping some of the dishes she had gathered into the sink. Aedric flicked her with soapy water.

"Hey," she protested. He smiled.

Isla yawned, putting the kettle on the stove for some tea. She took a seat on a barstool, watching Aedric finish up.

She was happy to be with him. He was good to her, and that should be all that mattered. It was the idea of forever that came with the word soulmate that had bothered her so much. She had been so focused on getting out of her situation, and then figuring her life out, she wasn't prepared to find her person in the mix of all of it.

The kettle screamed, and Aedric moved it off the burner. He pulled down two mugs, and fixed them both a cup.

"Thank you," she whispered.

"You're welcome," he said, leaning on the island. "What's on your mind?" 

She shrugged before admitting, "I wish I could take back some of the things I said."

His gaze didn't waiver, and he waited patiently for her to continue.

"It was never you. It's the commitment that scares me, and I-" she stumbled, unsure of what to say next.

"I didn't think about it like that," he said.

For the first time in her life, she wanted to spill everything because she knew that Aedric would make it better. He would make all of the bad go away.

"The bruises - it was my parents. I've always thought it was supposed to be that way, until I met Sierra, and then you, and then I realized that I could do things on my own."

"And you didn't want to lose that," Aedric finished gently. "I'm sorry. I got caught up on the having-to-tell-you-this-big-secret part, that I forgot to consider what you had been through."

Isla nodded.

Aedric straightened. "I'm going to go check on Callie for a second."

She moved to the couch when he left the room. Her yawns were becoming more frequent.

"She seems to be sleeping soundly," he said, dropping down next to her. "Her fever must've broken a little bit."

He lifted his arm, and she tucked into his side.

"Why don't you sleep for a few minutes? I've got the baby monitor. Callie isn't going anywhere."

She didn't answer, and his hand start running the length of her arm soothingly. She was so comfortable that once her eyes shut, she was out.