Chapter 22

Isla was exhausted before the day even got started. She struggled to get through her pile of work.

come over tonight? I'll cook. She texted Aedric.

I have a session at 630. I'll come right after.

That made her feel a little better.

There was a part of her that was relieved. She hoped this would be the last contact she ever had with her parents. There was another part of her that wished they had regretted how they treated her.

Her day wrapped up, and she went home. Angela and Callie were watching cartoons on the TV when she came in. Callie immediately reached for her.

"Do you feel okay?" Angela asked, standing up and inspecting Isla closely.

"I'm okay. It was a long day," Isla said, washing her hands in the kitchen so she could hold the happy baby.

Angela nodded. "Callie's been fine today. Nothing that's not typical. I made myself some lunch this afternoon, and there's leftovers in the fridge."

Isla nodded, watching Angela leave.

Callie became fixated on some blocks, and Isla sat with her until Sierra got home.

Sierra immediately narrowed her eyes at Isla. "What happened? Did Aedric do something stupid?"

"No, it wasn't him," Isla said.

Sierra placed her hand on the back of her forehead.

"You're warm. Did you catch something?"

Isla waved her off. "My mom called."

Sierra froze. "Your mom?"

"Yeah, she wanted money or something. I don't know. It's over now," she said, feeling her eyes water.

Sierra pulled her in for a hug. "I'm sorry that she hurt you again."

"I just - I had hoped that my leaving would make them change," she said. "And I had thought that I had moved on, that I was stronger than I used to be."

"You are stronger, Isla, but at the same time, it's only been a few months. What you experienced lasted years," Sierra soothed.

Sierra pulled back.

"You really don't look well. Why don't you go lay down? I can bring you something to eat in a little bit," Sierra said.

Isla nodded. She was drained, and her head was pounding.

"Can you tell Aedric that I'm going to bed? I had asked him to come over, but-"

Sierra agreed, ushering her to her room. Sleeping the rest of the day away sounded like a great idea.

She put on her pajamas, climbing into her soft bed. Her headache eased, and she was able to sleep.

---

She woke up to a soft touch on her arm, and despite being disoriented, she knew it was Aedric.

"I didn't mean to wake you, baby," he whispered.

She hummed, opening her eyes. She pushed herself upright. Her room was dark except for the lamp in the living room area that filtered through.

"What are you doing here?" she mumbled. "Did Sierra not-"   

He hushed her, taking a seat next to her. "She did, but I was worried about you. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

She patted the space next to her and he pulled off his sweatshirt, leaving him in a t-shirt. He moved to the other side of the bed, sitting up against the headboard.

Isla laid her head in his lap. He gathered her hair, bending down to kiss the side of her face.

"I'm okay," she said finally. "I just had a bit of a headache."

"And now?" Aedric asked.

"Much better," she said, smiling a little as he ran his hands down the length of her body. She took comfort in the feeling, and her eyes fluttered again.

She felt him shuffle a bit. 

"Have you eaten since breakfast, baby?" he questioned softly.

She shook her head no, opening her eyes to find Aedric on his phone.

"Do you feel up to eating a little something? Sierra made soup for dinner. She says we can eat with them if you want," he said.

She agreed, sitting up. Her neglected stomach rumbled, and she shivered as she left her warm bed. She took Aedric's sweatshirt, shrugging it on. It was so soft, and covered her hands, but she loved it.

"Thief," he teased. He had a handsome smile on his face. She stuck her tongue out in response.

It was Caleb who was cooking, and it smelled amazing. Sierra was setting the table.

"Much better," Sierra said in passing, smiling at them. "Caleb made chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese for all of us. Come, sit."

"Did Callie already go to bed?" Aedric asked.

"Yes," Caleb answered, bringing over the large pot.

"Without a fight and on time for once," Sierra added, looking up at her husband. "We are free, baby."

The soup was delicious and exactly what Isla needed.

"Did you want to go somewhere? I can watch her," Isla offered.

Sierra giggled. "The only place I want to go to is my bed."