Chapter 26

"Come on, Pepper," Isla encouraged her puppy who was chewing on a toy in Aedric's small backyard.

Pepper was a lot better, though it had taken several long weeks to get to this point. Being a stray meant that Pepper was already used to using the bathroom outside, and the hardest thing was trying to get her to respond to her name.

Pepper perked up though, barrelling right past Isla and into the house.

It also wasn't fair that she definitely preferred Aedric over her.

Isla gathered the toys in the yard before going inside. Aedric was cooking, or he was supposed to be. When she went into the kitchen, he had Pepper in his arms, scratching behind her ears.

Isla huffed.

Aedric chuckled in response. "Are you jealous, baby?"

"No," she said defiantly.

He set Pepper down. She went to her water bowl, before plopping down and stretching out onto the cool floor. Isla dropped the toys she had collected from outside in a pile near the dozing pup.

Aedric turned back to the dishes he was washing. There was a shift in energy, and Isla shuffled a bit, unsure.

"I'm not," she offered quietly. Maybe he found her silly.

Aedric dried his hands, smiling as he turned around. He reached for her, and she stepped into his embrace.

"I know," he said softly. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?" she pressed.

"It's just-" He lifted her chin. He skimmed his thumb against her cheek. "I love you."

Isla blushed, pulling her face away, and resting it on his chest instead. She wrapped her arms around his back. He tightened his hold, dropping his head onto hers.

He stayed quiet, letting her process.

"I love you too," she finally managed to whisper.

He kissed her forehead. She could feel his smile, but she didn't move.

"Does that scare you?"

Isla took in a deep, shuddering breath. "No. I have loved you for a long time. You made me feel whole again."

She finally looked up, holding back a giddy smile at the tender, heated look he was giving her.

Aedric kissed her, hard, pulling her flush against his chest. His hands went to her hair, His lips were persistent, and she followed his movements eagerly.

His hands left her face, sliding down her back, then to her butt. He lifted her effortlessly. She let out a little gasp that he swallowed. He set her on the countertop. She wrapped her legs around his backside, keeping him close. Heat pooled into her belly as she gripped his shirt.

The timer beeped, breaking their moment.

"Fuck," Aedric mumbled, pulling back. His heated gaze raked over her heaving body, and he gave her another kiss, pressing his lips to her neck before stepping back.

He pulled their dinner from the oven. And even though it smelled amazing, eating was the last thing on her mind.

"Aedric," she whispered, almost whining. Heat filled her already flushed cheeks.

He turned around, giving her another once over. This time it was like he was making sure she was okay.

"What, princess?" he asked. "Was that too much?"

"No, it was good," she confirmed, reaching for him. He stepped closer, and she pulled him back between her legs. "Kiss me like that again."

Aedric gave a smirk that could only be described as satisfied, and it filled her with heat.

He pushed his lips onto hers, and she closed her eyes, enjoying the feel and smell of being totally consumed by him.

She loved him. She loved him with all of her heart. She wanted to be with him forever. That had scared her a few months ago, the idea of being soulmates that had arisen, but now, she realized just how lucky she was. Aedric was her soulmate.

She knew abuse was a cycle. She had been vulnerable her whole life, so she was really lucky to find safety, to find a home in Aedric. He treasured her, treating her like she mattered, showed her that she did matter. 

He pulled away too quickly. He gave her a sweet peck, his hand going to her face.

She looked up at him, unable to control the elated smile. She felt happy. She always did around him.

"You're my beautiful, sweet girl," he said softly, matching her smile. He gave her another kiss. "Let's eat dinner."