Chapter 25

Isla stuffed her phone in her pocket as she walked to her car. She pulled the clip from her hair with a quiet sigh of relief. It had been yet another long week.

She couldn't wait to get some groceries and get home.

The grocery store was packed with people getting off of work. She filled her cart with the few items she needed for the next week, and checked out.

She eyed the coffee store across the street. A chai latte sounded so good. Lately, coffee reminded her of Aedric. He had also been busy this week, and she missed him. Hopefully, they could get together this weekend.

She walked the paved path down to the crosswalk, eyeing the flowers that were beginning to bloom. Something rustled.

She paused.

Until she heard it again.

She bent down, pulling at the bushes to find the source of the noise. She probably looked like a crazy person, but her efforts led her to a small lump of fur that growled protectively, yet weakly.

"Oh no," she mumbled to herself. She continued to reach until she picked up the very small, frail puppy. The dog offered no other protests, and she cradled them to her chest.

The dog was filthy. They weren't anything more than skin and bones, and their fur was missing in large clumps. She could already see the bites that could only be from fleas.

She pulled off her cardigan, wrapping the shaking pup in it. One of the front paws was hot to the touch and looked swollen.

She didn't know how to care for a dog, but at least she could take them to the vet where they could get fixed up.

She had to call different vets to see who could get her in, and only one was able to make it work.

The vet, Dr. Lee, wasted no time to inspect the puppy.

"She is clearly very emaciated. She's covered in flea bites, but I haven't seen more than one flea yet. Her front paw is infected where she was probably licking a previous injury."

Dr. Lee gave a quiet sigh, looking up at Isla from behind the glasses that sat low on his nose.

"This could have been so much worse if you hadn't found her when you did," he said.

Isla swallowed thickly. The poor thing was all alone, just trying to survive.

"I know it doesn't look like it, but I would say she's probably around six months to a year old. There's no microchip. Do you think you're going to keep her?"

Isla looked at the little shaking lump before nodding.

The vet smiled. "We will have to develop a strict plan for the next few weeks to get this pup back to normal. I also have some vitamins and supplements that I will go ahead and supply. We'll give her a bath and wrap that paw up. She will be a good as new in no time."

Isla appreciated Dr. Lee's optimism. She new having a dog was a big responsibility, especially one that needed a lot of care, but she felt confident that she could do so.

---

Isla took her sleeping swaddled pup into the pet store to buy the recommended food, as well as some other things she might need. She bought some toys, a bed, a leash. Isla may have gone a bit overboard, but she was excited, and she wanted her to new dog to feel comfortable in her home.

Isla spied Aedric's car in the driveway when she pulled in. She was immediately greeted by Sierra before she had the chance to go to her room.

"What have you been up to?" Sierra asked, giving her a look. Her gaze moved to the bundle in her arms. "Isla, did you have a baby?"

Isla blushed, but giggled. "It's a puppy."

"A puppy," she repeated with a squeal that Isla tried to shush.

"She's sick. She's sleeping right now," Isla said, smiling when Aedric came around the corner.

Isla moved around Sierra and into her room. She made a neat pile of blankets on the floor near her bed, placing the dog bed on top, and setting the pup down.

"I was wondering why I hadn't heard from you today," Aedric said, stepping up behind Isla. His hand skimmed her back.

Sierra sat on the floor, inspecting the puppy.

"Poor thing," Sierra whispered.

"The vet thinks she'll be okay," Isla mumbled. "I hope you don't mind. I know-"

"I'd never say no to a dog," Sierra eased, standing up. "She needs a name though."

"I was thinking Pepper," Isla said. "She has those cute spots around her nose."

"It's perfect," Sierra agreed.