Chapter 21

It was Tuesday morning. Isla had just walked a few miles on the treadmill.

Aedric had a private training session scheduled for this morning at his other gym, so he couldn't be around, but she had gotten used to using some of the other equipment without him. Everyone was always really nice to her if she ever needed help.

Aedric was going to bring breakfast before she had to go to work, so she went to his office to use the shower there, and to wait for him.

"Good morning," Aedric greeted as she stepped out, freshly clean and smelling like him. He was at his desk, and she moved closer.

"Good morning," Isla said back. "How was your session?"

"It was good, pretty routine. Everything okay here?"

She nodded, "I walked just over two miles."

"How was that? Was it too much?" he asked.

"No," Isla answered. "It was pretty boring, though."

Aedric chuckled. "You could always listen or watch something on your phone."

He stood up, reaching for her. She tucked into him, pressing her face to his chest.

"I brought smoothies and bagels. We should eat before you have to go." He kissed her forehead, running his hand along her arm before releasing her.

They sat together on the couch. The food was good, but having the quiet time with Aedric was even more fulfilling. She loved spending time with him.

She loved him.

The thought covered her like cold water. She had never loved someone before. But the more she thought about it - She loved Sierra. She was her best friend. She loved Caleb and Callie who accepted her with open arms, no questions asked.

While that was scary, it was also relieving. She had gone her whole life thinking she was not capable of ever having or feeling those emotions, but now she was beginning to see that there was nothing wrong with her.

"So are you more of a strawberry banana fan or blueberry?" Aedric asked as she took a sip of his smoothie to try.

"I like the banana one you got me," Isla said, gathering her trash. "Thank you for breakfast."

Aedric didn't get a chance to respond before her phone started buzzing in her pocket, and she pulled it out. Her heart plummeted to her feet.

"It's my mom," she mumbled. She took a split second to decide if she wanted to answer it.

"Isla, dear," her mom's familiar voice filtered through. Isla felt a flood of different emotions. She had done so well at pushing that part of her life behind her.

"Mom?" she asked shakily. Aedric wrapped his arm supportively around her.

"Your father has been in an accident. He's currently unable to work. I think you should come home, help me take care of things here."

"I'm not-" she took in a deep breath, scrubbing her face with her palm. "I'm not coming home."

"Don't be like that, Isla, after everything we've done for you."

Isla gave a quiet scoff, shaking her head.

"I can't believe you would leave your poor mother to fend for herself. I should've known how selfish you would be," Jane said, her voice becoming more disgusted.

"I'm not being selfish," Isla answered quietly, mustering the courage to say her peace.

"If you're not so selfish, the least you could do is pay for his hospital bill. You owe us that much."

Isla stayed quiet for a moment. Aedric lowered the phone from her ear, covering the speaker with his hand.

"You owe them nothing," he told her softly, turning her face towards his. He dried her lone tear. "If you send them money, they are never going to stop bothering you."

He was right. Isla didn't even know why she had been considering it in the first place. It was like she was fifteen again, and had no other choice. She was so tired of their games. She wanted it all to be over.

"I don't owe you guys anything," Isla said finally. "Don't call me again."

"You ungrateful little bitc-"

Isla hung up the phone.

Her heart was hammering. Her lip wobbled unsteadily. She didn't even want to look at Aedric.

"Isla," he whispered. He reached for her, smoothing the hair out of her face. "It's going to be okay, baby."

When it seemed she was okay with his touch, he lifted her up, placing her in his lap. She sobbed, trying to muffle it with his shirt.

He soothed her, wrapping her up tight and letting her get everything off of her chest.

Isla couldn't help but break down in the safety of Aedric. She had spent her whole life trying to be tough, to hide what was going on at home. A few months ago, she never would have dreamed of speaking to her mother that way.

Her tears dried, leaving pitiful sniffles.

"I'm sorry," she whispered to Aedric, trying to wipe her cheeks.

"Don't be sorry," he said, giving her a gentle smile. "That was really brave of you, you know that?"

"I'm going to be late for work," she mumbled, unsure of what else to say.

He helped her stand, giving her a salty kiss.

"Does it look like I've been crying?" she asked him pitifully, straightening out her clothes.

"No, princess. You look beautiful. Don't worry about it," Aedric said. He picked up her bag, guiding her to the door. He walked her to her car. 

"Promise that you will call me if you need me today, Isla. I can be in your office in just a few minutes," he said, holding the driver door open for her.

"Okay," she agreed, reaching up for another kiss.

He pulled back, kissing her nose and her cheeks until she finally gave him a pretty smile.

Those three words were on the tip of her tongue.