Chapter 27

"She's growing so fast," Sierra sighed as they watched Callie stand up by using the ottoman for support.

"If you blink, you'll miss it," Angela said.

"I'm never blinking again," Sierra decided.

Isla gave a soft laugh.

Callie became distracted by Pepper's presence, losing her balance and plopping right onto her butt. She wasn't fazed by the short fall. Instead, she took off at a quick crawl after the disinterested dog.

"The grill's fired up," Caleb announced, stepping into the house. A warm breeze followed him in through the sliding doors.

"We hung up that swing you bought Callie, mom," Sierra told Angela. She picked her daughter up, heading outside.

Isla hung back, going to the kitchen for a drink. It was a beautiful Saturday, and they were having a little cookout.

She heard the garage open, and she couldn't help the smile she felt knowing it was Aedric. He had a few morning classes to teach at the gym this morning, but he had promised he would come anyway.

"Wow. Are you wearing shorts?" Aedric grinned, quite boyishly. He gave her a thorough once over.

"It's warm out," she said, offering a bit of an unsure smile. She had never worn shorts before. She had always liked to be covered up, but it was different now. She was happy with who she was. She was safe here.

Aedric softened his smile, pulling her to his chest. His hand rubbed her back soothingly.

She could tell he had just showered. He smelled good, and she settled.

His hands lowered, grabbing her butt.

"Aedric," she protested.

"What?" he asked, like he was doing nothing wrong.

"Your mom and sister are outside. I'd rather them not see you getting handsy." Isla couldn't help but laugh, muffling it with his chest.

He sighed dramatically, moving his hands back up. "I can't help it. You look so beautiful, and sexy, and hot-"

He was interrupted by the sliding door opening once again. Isla stepped back.

"Hey," Sierra said. She glanced at Isla and her red cheeks. "I don't even want to know what's going on in here. The burgers are almost done if you want to help me carry out plates and sides."

"I don't know why you're looking at me. I didn't do anything," Isla protested.

Sierra grabbed the stack of plates and silverware. "I'll be back inside as soon as I set this stuff down."

"Enough, Sierra," Aedric scolded. He didn't need Isla feeling embarrassed. She had nothing to be embarrassed about.

She stuck her tongue out in response. "Grouch."

Isla moved to the fridge to gather the condiments and the pasta salad she had made earlier. When she turned around, she turned right into Aedric's chest.

He took the stuff from her hands, setting it down on the counter next to her.

He cupped her cheeks. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she smiled, leaning up for a kiss. "You weren't just saying that, about the shorts I mean. You can see-"

She fumbled with her words for a second. When she couldn't get them out, she took his hand, placing it gently on her thigh, right on a scar that had always bothered because it was so obvious it was a burn. She had several of them.

Aedric skimmed his thumb over it, offering her a gentle smile of his own.

"You really do look beautiful, princess. You have sexy legs. You've been training hard. There's no reason not to flaunt them."

He gave her another kiss.

"I love your scars," he admitted, taking her hand. "They're a part of you, and I love every part of you."

Isla felt a rise of emotions at his sweet words. She ducked her head.

Aedric pressed his lips to the crown of her head. "Come on. Let's get this stuff out there before Sierra throws a fit."

Isla followed him outside. The hamburgers smelled amazing, and her stomach rumbled.

A year ago, she never would have imagined being who she was today. She had Sierra to thank for all of this. Her kindness gave her a new life, a new family. It gave her Aedric.

She glanced at Aedric who smiled her way. He was her everything. He made her feel beautiful and strong. She was beautiful and strong.

She loved him. She loved all of them. She couldn't imagine life without this.