Chapter 5

Sierra was convincing, that was for sure. Somehow, she had convinced Isla to come out and meet her family when they arrived for dinner a few days later.

The furniture had been unpacked from travel. The living room of the main house was still empty, but there was a long table that fit in the dining area. Sierra was even going to cook, with Isla's help, of course. That's how she got roped in.

"I haven't seen them in a while, and I want to do something special," she had pleaded. "Caleb gets home right before they arrive, and that'll be too late to help me."

That's how Isla ended up working on a homemade chocolate cake while Sierra made lasagna.

"Aedric is broody and a know-it-all," she said, covering the large dish with a sheet of foil. "My mom is great though. She gets along well with everyone, and she can really talk."

"I wondered where you got that from," Isla mumbled. She jumped back with a short laugh as she was flicked with sink water. The sudden movement made her grimace.

"I'm sorry. I should've been more mindful," Sierra said sincerely.

"That's okay. They've been feeling a lot better that even I forget about it."

Isla offered the cake batter covered spoon as a peace offering.

"That tastes amazing," Sierra smiled, resting against the counter. "I know that I would feel awkward in your shoes, but I think it's always good to have people in your corner."

Isla nodded, placing the dishes in the sink and rinsing them thoroughly.

"I have always struggled to make friends," Sierra whispered. "I'm really good at seeing the bad in people for some reason." She shrugged. Isla could sense there was more to that statement. "With you, it's different."

Isla flashed a small smile.

"No one's ever treated me the way you've treated me," Isla told her gently.

It was true. Almost two weeks with Sierra, and she made Isla feel like she mattered more than she had her whole life.

Sierra didn't say anything else, but she didn't need to.

Isla set the table, realizing that there wasn't enough chairs. She felt anxiety crawl up her neck. It was her fault, she was the extra person, and-

"I'll get a camping chair," Sierra said, disappearing out into the garage.

The camping chair was short compared to the height of the table, but Sierra shrugged it off, claiming her brother was tall enough to make it work.

"No one is expecting perfection anyway," she giggled, picking Callie up and placing her on her hip. "This house is a disaster, or it was, until I hid all the mess in the garage. Caleb isn't going to be able to get his truck in there."

Isla smiled, easing at Sierra's effortless lightheartedness.

"The only downside is that you're going to have to sit next to my brother. I know you would be more comfortable with me, but I need to be on this end to squeeze in the high chair. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

It definitely wasn't okay. She was a nervous wreck. At least Caleb would be beside her, but it wasn't the same as Sierra. She knew Sierra would want Caleb's help feeding the baby, and to be close to her mom, so she tried to calm herself down.

---

Isla hung back in the kitchen when Sierra's mom arrived, soon followed by Caleb. She busied herself with the dishes, but ultimately she gave up because her hands were shaking so badly she could hardly grip anything.

"Aedric is running late, of course," her mother said, their footsteps coming closer to Isla's temporary sanctuary. "He said that we could start dinner without him."

Sierra appeared with Caleb and a petite woman with gorgeous black hair and olive-oil skin. She looked like she had stepped off of a runway, and Isla suddenly felt extremely self-conscious of her black eye and casted wrist.

"This is my mom, Angela. Mom, this is my friend Isla."

"What a beautiful name," Angela beamed. "It's so nice to meet you. Sierra has told me so much about you."

Isla gave an unsure smile, subtly taking a step closer to Sierra. She was unable to say anything back.

Isla felt like she was seven years old again, reminded of the fact that her situation was not typical. When she started elementary school, she realized that not all moms and dads were like hers, and as she got older, that reminder faded away. She had become trapped in her own little bubble when there was a whole world out there.

There was something genuine about Angela that made Isla want to confide in her. The feeling made her uneasy.

"Isla made this gorgeous chocolate cake and she is going to make a homemade frosting to put on top," Sierra bragged. She had passed Callie over to her mom, who was enthralled by the little baby.

"Can you carry the lasagna over to the table, baby?" she asked Caleb, who nodded, kissing her on the cheek.

Isla carried over the basket of bread, and Sierra dished out the cheesy deliciousness. Sierra had seriously spoiled her with her cooking the last few days, and as soon as she got some more mobility with her arm, she couldn't wait to do the same.

Sierra and Angela were full of conversation. They talked about anything and everything.

Isla did her best to try to keep up with the conversation as she picked at her plate.

"I'm sorry that I'm late."

A huge beast of a man entered the dining room. He was so tall and built. His white henley hugged him in all the right places. He had dark hair and a beard, and like his mother, he could have just stepped off a runway.

"Aedric," Sierra squealed, standing up to launch herself into her brother's arms.

"You're always late," Angela quipped.

Aedric shrugged, placing his hand on Sierra's back before releasing her. "I was training a manager for my new location downtown."

"That's right," Sierra said. "I told Caleb that the new gym is walking distance to his office." 

Finally, Aedric's eyes met Isla's.