Chapter 20

Isla exhaled, turning her car off. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest, each distinct thump bouncing off of her rib cage.

She didn't know why she was so nervous. She loved spending time with Aedric. He was good to her.

It's just - It's her first time in his house. It's her first time officially alone with him, not in the safety of her home, or in the safety and familiarity of Sierra.

It was ridiculous considering they had been on a handful of dates, but this felt intimate.

Aedric stepped out of his front door, offering a smile and a wave. Most of her turmoil eased as he came around to her door, pulling it open.

"Hi, princess," he greeted. "Are you going to sit in the car all night?"

She smiled a bit as he helped her out. He turned to walk before stopping, pulling her close. He cupped her cheeks.

"What's wrong?" he asked, his thumb gently skimming along the skin of her cheek. His gentle touch soothed her.

She didn't really know how to answer, and he pecked her lips.

"A little nervous?" he asked instead.

She nodded.

"That's okay, baby," he said, kissing her nose. She gave a soft laugh in response. "I am, too. I've never had anyone over like this, but we're just going to hang out, okay? There's no pressure. You can go home whenever you feel like it."

"Thank you, Aedric," she said, wrapping her arms around him. He held her tight, giving her a gentle squeeze.

She followed him up the few steps onto his cute porch.

The inside was just as nice. It was bright from the glow of the fading sun, and very open. The kitchen, the living room, the dining room, it was all one large area and tastefully decorated. Their sitcom they watched together was already playing on his TV.

Whatever he was cooking smelled amazing.

"I made chicken," Aedric said. "It should be ready in a few if you want to sit on the couch."

"Okay," she agreed, going over to the large sectional that she melted right into. It had to have been the softest couch she had ever felt, not to mention that it smelled like Aedric.

"I got you something," he said, coming around to the front of her.

The top of his large ottoman opened up for storage, and he pulled out a pretty pink paisley patterned blanket.

"I thought it might make you more comfortable to have something that was yours while you were here," he smiled, draping it over her. It was so soft.

Isla was touched by the gesture. She gripped his shirt, lowering him down closer to her so she could kiss him.

"That is so sweet. Thank you," she said sincerely.

He gave her another kiss before straightening up and going back to the kitchen.

She sat contentedly for a few minutes, captivated by the funny characters. She heard a few timers go off, and she glanced over.

"Do you want some help?" Isla asked.

"Don't look," he huffed playfully.

He was in the middle of lighting some candles on the table. She muffled her laugh with the blanket, turning away. He was so thoughtful.

Finally, he told her to come over. He had set the table so nicely, fit with flowers and candles. It was romantic and thoughtful.

"Everything looks amazing, Aed," she said, taking the seat he pulled out for her. "You went to too much trouble."

"Nonsense," he said back, sitting across from her. He took her hand. "I wanted this to be special."

His food was just as amazing as it looked and smelled.

She found herself watching him as he talked. His eyes sparkled in the glow of the candles. He was relaxed, and she felt the same. She was comfortable, happy with him. He made her feel so safe.

"Are you down for more boxing this week?" he asked as they finished up. She stacked their plates, taking them over to the sink. She started to rinse them but he stopped her, pulling her back against his front. "Stop trying to be sneaky."

She laughed as he pressed his lips to her face. "I'm not being sneaky. I can do the dishes for you."

"I can do them later. Let's watch an episode of our show before it gets too late."

She twisted around so she was facing him. She leaned up until she was kissing him. She wrapped her arms around his back, pulling him close.

Aedric sighed when she pulled back.

"I made dessert," he said, chasing her lips for another peck.

"Let me guess. You made chocolate chip cookies," Isla smiled.

"Brownies, actually," he corrected.

She finally unwrapped her arms, allowing him to walk to the couch. She sank in close, pulling her blanket up to her chin.

Brownies were her favorite. He really did remember every little detail.

"I will be able to come to your gym Tuesday and Thursday," Isla said, answering his question from earlier.

"Okay, princess. Text me tomorrow so I can double check my schedule, okay?" Aedric wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

It had been a really good weekend.