Chapter 9

"Isla, where are you?" Sierra called.

Isla could hear her coming through her suite, looking for her, but she was unable to respond.

It didn't take long for Sierra to find her, curled up in her closet.

"I can't go through with it," Isla gasped, placing her head on her knees. She struggled to take in a breath of air.

"Go through with what? The date?"

"Yes," Isla confirmed, her voice muffled.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she offered.

Isla lifted her head. She didn't want to concern Sierra. How could she explain that she was afraid? She was terrified of saying the wrong thing, or making the wrong move. She didn't know what Aedric was expecting from her. What if he just wanted to sleep with her? Then what?

"Hey," Sierra said, snapping her out of the panic temporarily. "You don't have to say anything. I'll talk to Aedric, okay? He'll understand."

Isla's breaths were ragged. Each one took painful effort that hurt her lungs. She felt like she was spinning in circles.

Sierra left her for a moment, and the panic worsened when she heard Aedric's unmistakable voice.

That bothered Isla. He had arrived early, and Sierra was having to tell him to go away. He was going to see Isla as rude, and it was going to ruin any chance she had at being with him.

She didn't even know if that's what she wanted. Dating someone came with expectations and communication and she could barely do anything on her own. She felt so trapped.

"Isla," Aedric's deep voice soothed, breaking some of the fog she had been in.

"Touching her is going to make it worse," She heard Sierra scold. "She doesn't like to be-"

Aedric wrapped his arms tightly around Isla, pulling her out of the tight ball she had been in.

And surprisingly, Isla was okay with it. His warmth and comforting smell eased the thoughts that had been bouncing in her head.

His hands didn't move from her back, but her's moved to grip his jacket.

"It's okay," he whispered. "You're okay."

She found breathing to be easier when she matched it to the rise and fall of his chest.

He spoke, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause you any unnecessary stress."

"I can't help it," she admitted, muffled by his shirt.

"Of course you can't. It's not your fault."

She lifted her head, and he released her, drying the lone tears with the pads of his thumb. Sierra was nowhere to be found.

"It doesn't have anything to do with you. It's just-"

"You don't have to explain right now," he murmured, his deep voice casting her in a nice warmth. "How about we change things up? Instead of dinner out, why don't we go get something to make here?"

That sounded nice, and took away some of the other things that bothered her, like being under the scrutiny of others or embarrassing herself.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

Aedric offered a gentle smile. "Of course I am. I know this is your safe space, and I just want to spend time with you, if you're comfortable with that."

She nodded.

He helped her stand. Her knees were wobbly, and she clutched onto his arms. She couldn't believe the kindness and understanding that this man had shown her in such little time.

"I'm going to go say hi to my niece. How about I send Sierra back in for a moment?"

Isla gave another tentative nod, and Aedric stepped out of her bedroom.

Sierra came in, reaching for her, and Isla stepped closer. Sierra lowered her arms.

"That was a hell of a panic attack," Sierra said. "You scared me."

"I'm sorry," Isla said with a shaky exhale, residual from some of her tears earlier.

"Don't be. It's not something you can control. Is Aedric leaving?"

She shook her head no. "He said we could just do dinner here."

"And you're okay with that?" Sierra asked.

She nodded. "It helps that you'll be close, and this is my place."

Sierra smoothed the hair from her face. "I think that's a great idea. I'll be right down the hall if you need me. How about I help pick you out something to wear?"

Isla agreed, letting her friend sift through what little clothing she had. She pulled out some jeans and a nice looking top that wasn't too dressy, but wasn't a t-shirt either.

Isla changed in the bathroom, scrubbing at her face to make it look less splotchy. She felt like such a mess. Her hair was tangled, and it was obvious she had been crying.

"It's okay," Sierra soothed when she stepped out. She always sensed her turmoil. She handed her a jacket and her bag. "You look amazing. You're going to have a great time."

"Thank you," Isla whispered, trying to give a little smile.