CHAPTER 43

Anna's POV

I didn't know when I slept off while crying last night. It is when I open my eyes to see it is morning already that I realize I didn't wake up throughout the night. I slept like a baby, even though my heart was aching from the revelation of last night. My heart is still aching.

I can't believe my father left us. My mom had always told me he was dead. He died in a car accident. Why is she saying something else now? Why did she lie to me all these years, making me feel unfortunate for not getting to meet my father? 

I can barely remember what he looks like or anything about him other than the fact that I used to have a father figure in my life until he disappeared into thin air and I didn't ask of him until I began to see my mates in school talk about their father and see their fathers coming to pick them up from school.

Why did my father leave? What did mother do to him? Will he come back someday? Why does she want me to marry Aidan if it's not because of the money he has?

I can't find any answers because my mother has suddenly become unpredictable. I know she is telling the truth about letting my baby know who her father is but I am just being stubborn because of how arrogant Aidan is. 

How can I marry a man like that? Besides, we don't love each other. We can't be staying in the same house as enemies. I won't let him use me the way he likes just because I want my baby to have a father.

I heard mom crying yesterday too. I feel bad for making her cry but I still don't want to be married to a man who doesn't love me. I know nothing of Aidan and I have no idea how I will be treated when I eventually become his wife.

A knock jerks me out of my thoughts. I know it must be my mother or Pamela. I don't intend to go to school today, I just want to stay in bed and think of my pathetic predicament before concluding. I know I have to be wise also, whatever decision I take, I need to apply wisdom.

"Anna?" I hear my mother's voice.

I don't feel like talking to her, so I keep mute.

"Anna?" She calls again. I refuse to answer her until she breaks down into tears. I can't withstand her tears.

"I'm sorry, Anna", she says. I get off the bed and walk briskly to the door. My head is banging and I hope to go back to sleep after having breakfast. I am hungry already. I pull the door open and see her on the floor, crying. I have never seen my mother this vulnerable.

I haul her up and move into my room. I help her to the bed and go back to close the door. Then, I walk back to the bed and sit, watching her. I am no longer angry at her but I still have some questions to ask her before making my decision.

She wipes her tears and gazes at me. "I'm sorry", she takes my two hands.

"It's ok", I nod at her.

There is a short silence. I am trying to think of how to present my questions to her in a calm manner.  I don't want to blow it out of proportion like I did yesterday.