CHAPTER 47

Aidan's POV

I was buried in my work till 7 pm when I remembered I had the intention of paying Anna and her mother a visit today.

I quickly round things off and pack the files I will be using at home in my briefcase. I stroll out before locking the door.  I had dismissed Chloe since 6 pm.

I take the elevator out to the parking lot and hop in before driving off. Different thoughts are running through my mind as I drive to the neighborhood. I am hoping to meet her mother at home since it's past 7 pm already, I am sure she must be back from wherever she is always going to.

What should I say to her? How can I succeed in convincing Anna? Should I plead with her to agree to my terms? Should I try sweet-talking just like Richard has advised?

I shake my head at the thought of begging her.

I can't do that, I mutter.

"What do I do then?" I ask no one in particular.

A few minutes later, I drive into the neighborhood and park aside before going out of the car, hoping the dog that kept barking at me the other day won't do the same today. I take long strides towards the house and knock on the door softly.

I hear a voice from within and before I know it, the door is thrown open by Evelyn. Her face lit up in excitement.

"Hey, Aidan", she waves her hand at me with a smile.

I remembered the last thing my mother said to me before I left home without seeing my father. She is requesting me to come with my bride the next time I visit. I am still contemplating what to do.

Now that Evelyn is home, should I just tell her to help me do the persuasion? I shake my head at the thought. Evelyn will laugh at my silliness. 

Should I just plead with Anna in private without Evelyn around? I shake my head inwardly again, I think Anna is just like her mother.

"Aidan?" Evelyn waves her hand in front of me to pull me out of my reverie. I blink twice and watch her.

"Who is that, mom?" I hear Anna's voice. She comes into view. She is wearing a cardigan and her hair is packed in a messy bun making the pleats of hair fall off her face. Her mouth is slightly open and I suddenly remember how I kissed those lips that night.

"I think Aidan is here to see you, Anna", Evelyn turns to Anna.

Anna sees me and folds my arms, with a face devoid of emotions. I don't know what she is thinking.

"Why are you here?" She comes forward when Evelyn moves out of the way.

I scratch my head when I realize I don't even know the first thing to say. "Can I come in?"

She stays in the door and leans on the frame. "No!"

"It's pretty cold out here", I shiver impulsively.