CHAPTER 49

Anna's POV

New beginnings frighten me a lot and I wonder if it frightens other people too. I am frightened of fresh beginnings because I have no idea how it will end and turn out.

Am I weird because I am scared of a new beginning?

Aidan's statement left me with my mouth agape. I thought we were beginning to be civil with each other.

He was calm and gentle a few minutes ago and now he is back to being harsh, arrogant, and rude? I never said I wanted him, why is he making it too obvious that I am unwanted?

I didn't say all of that because I am expecting us to fall in love with each other, I am only trying to see that things don't turn out to be messy on the long run. I am having a second doubt about sticking to Pamela's suggestion. I don't fucking care about what he thinks anymore. He can go to hell for all I care.

The massive gate before us opens and he drives in before pulling over. He gets out of the car and waits for me to come out too. I gulp before coming out, trying to calm my nerves. The anxiety I was having earlier has been replaced by a feeling I have no idea about.

Is it fear? I have no idea.

He walks towards me and brings out his arm for me to take. I am hesitant because I don't know why he keeps behaving like a gentleman this minute and like a jerk the next minute.

Does he have multiple personality disorder?

He takes a step forward and it jerks me out of my reverie. We walk together inside and I see the place is empty. I look around until my eyes falls on the two maids bent down. 

One of them is mopping the floor and the other is scrubbing the floor. The mansion is big and there are antiques everywhere in the large living room. It looks like an old house with a little touch of modernity.

The maid scrubbing the floor stands upright with arms akimbo and she meets Aidan's gaze. She bows. "Welcome, sir."

The other maid stands up abruptly too and bows in greeting. Aidan and I move forward.

"Is mother inside?"

"Yes, sir", they both answered.

Aidan turns and begins to walk towards a small door. I am expecting him to take the staircase by the right but he is going to the door by the left. 

Is this where his mother stays? I ask inwardly.

He knocks on the door and signals me to wait outside for a minute until he asks me to come in. I nod in understanding.

I know he wants to surprise her and I admire the fact that he respects and adores his mother. He opens the door and goes in.

I wait outside, looking around as a sudden uneasiness wash through me. I hope Aidan's mother will like me. But if she doesn't, this will be a gateway to my escape from being an unwanted bride.

****

Aidan's POV

I can't wait to see the reaction on my mother's face. I am giddy with excitement. 

I asked Anna to stay outside for a while so I can go in first. I was surprised to see her nodding in agreement. I thought she was going to ask me why I am asking her to stay outside when the major reason for our visit is to see my mother.

Mother didn't get up from the bed when I enter. She is on her bed, facing the other side.

Is she sleeping?