Chapter 4. Welcome to the Masquerade

"You're late" Henning said calmly

"Sorry. I had to get used to this dress" she apologized.

"I am glad you liked it"

"I DID NOT like this dress. You commanded me to wear it - I wear it. Now shut up and go to your guests"

---------

They came to the throne room. The people bowed immediately. Everyone except of The Rebellion, obviously. Hope knew she was free tonight, but she stayed close to her King. Henning didn't argue. 

"Your Majesty" a couple of people came to The King. "We want to say thank you for the Masquerade. And who is this young lady? Your little sister?

"If you call me his little sister, I promise you won't survive this night" feeling the evil aura from them, Hope replied with scorn "My name is Hope. And I am Sentinel"

"Manners, Hope" Henning put an arm on her shoulder. "They are our guests"

"Sapphire Dragons from the Sapphire Lake?"

They nodded

"I am sincerely sorry for her actions, m'lords"

"Oh, do not worry, Henning. We understand her scorn about us"

"Thank you" Henning bowed to them, then talked to Hope directly "You may go for now. No need to walk after me like you're my shadow"

Hope wasn't arguing and, bowing to the kings, went away

----------

During the evening Hope was staying away from the people. Until one young man in red mask came to her.

"Allow me invite you for a dance, M'lady?" he bowed and extended his hand to her

"I am not dancing. Especially with the strangers"  she recognized his voice, but counted it as coincidence.

"Oh, please. Just one dance"

"That's all?" Hope took his hand, and he dragged her in the dancing crowd.

The music started, and people started to dance the waltz. It seemed like the girl fully trusted the stranger letting him lead the dance. However, her anxiety grew.

"Don't be afraid" as if he felt her anxiety, he hugged her "This is just a dance. Trust me, and you will be alright"

"Everyone's watching us dancing" Hope noticed that people stopped and let them dance alone.

Suddenly the music stopped. And Henning came to people. Everyone bowed, and The King started to talk:"My dear friends. I'm glad you could visit this Masquerade. This evening - one of few when we can feel ourselves free; when we can spend some time with each other"

Henning continued his speech, and the people listened, completely forgetting about everything in the world. The king promised that during the Storm he would help ordinary people, and no one would be left in trouble. And only the Resistance knew that his words meant nothing.

-------

As soon as Henning had finished speaking, the stranger invited Hope to come outside. He wanted to do it earlier, but it would be rude to leave while the King was speaking. He, in turn, noticed that someone was taking the Sentinel away, and in the blink of an eye appeared next to them. 

"Where are you taking her to?" he was angry

"Oh, Your Majesty, don't worry" the boy smile giving a bow to The King. "We just want to go outside to the fresh air. I don't want to stay in a place with so many people inside for so long"