Chapter 9. Empire of Steel

Wake up... Wake up...

Unknown voice made the girl open her eyes. She looked around. There was nothing, only a flower bed on which she lay, and an old clock smooth ticking of which filled the room. Then she noticed a huge door with a golden knob. She went to it and, hoping that she will leave this place, opened it. The cold wind made her shiver, but she took a step in the corridor. The door disappeared making it impossible to return back.

The corridor was dimly lit by rarely seen candles, which made one feel a strong fear. Shadows moved past her, completely oblivious to the girl. When Hope wanted to touch the shadow, it immediately melted into her hand.

"Glad to see you here, little girl." an echo of someone's voice filled the corridor.  "I am here to play with you. Maybe hide-and-seek...? I will give you 10 second to run... Then our game will begin..."

Giant beast made of ink appeared in front of Hope. It looked like a giant wolf. Baring its teeth it closed to the girl. Hope made a step back being ready to run away. 

"W-what the heck are you...?" she asked trembling of fear.

"You may call me Kro. I am King and God of this place. Hahaha... Many will choose not to see me or avoid me, but I will find them. That's how I found YOU. Now... Let us begin... If you can escape you will be safe... If not... Well... It was a pleasure to meet you, little Dragon... Hahaha..."

Realizing the seriousness of the words of this monster, the girl immediately ran away. Panic and fear for her life completely seized the girl. She did not yet know that this corridor had no end... Almost. The loud sound of paws scratching the floor and the creature's laughter haunted the girl. She did not know where she was running, but no one was going to help her. The shadows continued to ignore her.

Very soon she noticed a door. Same door she saw in her room. But this one was locked. Hope began to knock on the door, begging to open it, to save her. But no one came. She sat down by the door, hugging her knees to her chest. Seeing the huge shadow, she immediately closed her eyes and was ready to accept her fate.

Are you lost, little girl? You are scared...

Hope froze. She clearly recognized the voice, but she didn't dare open her eyes or move. The stranger put his hand on her head, trying to convince her that he was a friend.

There's nothing to be afraid of... The beast is gone... You are safe here... Hear my voice and open your eyes.

The girl raised her head and saw The Ghost. He sat opposite her. He was clearly worried about what happened, because this should not have happened at all.

"Are you okay? Did it hurt you?" The Ghost helped her to stand up "Do you need my help?"

"No... It didn't... I think..." she replied hesitating "What is this place?"

"This... Is the Corridor of the Lost. I'm afraid you're not supposed to be here at all. Follow me... Don't be afraid, Hope. No one will hurt you... Trust me as you trusted me before..."

Before? What did He mean? Hope had so many questions, but she wasn't sure if she'll get the answers she needs. She silently followed Him when He opened the door. 

The place where they came out seemed to be made of steel. Every house, every castle here sparkled in the pale glow of something like the moon. Flowers did not grow here, birds did not sing. There was no warmth or wind here. It seemed like this place was just... Dead...? Of course, there were those who The Ghost brought from the Corridor of the Lost, but even with the saved souls, it was unbearably quiet here.

This silence probably scares you... Don't worry. It's not a deadly silence... People here are waiting for the dawn... Dawn changes everything...

-----

They entered the castle. The shadow guards immediately bowed to their master and his companion. The ghost bowed back to them. Silence reigned in the castle. Hope tried to stay close to The Ghost. Noticing this, he took her hand.

Are you afraid? Don't worry... They all know that you're with me. No one will hurt you.

They came to a strange room. Mirrors hung on the walls like paintings. They reflected the past and present, but never reflected the future. After all, there can be no future when your soul is here in the Empire of Steel. Hope went to one of the mirrors and saw herself on that day... The day the Kingdom of the Red Ash burned to the ground.

You see pictures of past days... I feel your repentance, I feel what you felt that day and what you feel now. It's the same feeling, Hope. Let's go. There is no point in staying here.

-----

Soon they came to the same room with the clock. The same door was on the wall again. The fear inside gradually intensified. This is the end.

This is where everything will be decided, my dear. You saw everything you needed from the Corridor of the Lost to the hall with your "portraits" on the wall. You have seen my kingdom and my castle. This is where everything ends. This is where it always ends. Tell me, Hope. If you were given the chance to start over again, would you take it?

"I don't know. I've made many mistakes, and if the gods want me to stay here, I'll accept it. If the gods give me one more chance, so be it" Hope answered decisively, as if she had been expecting this question.

It's clear... You really did what brought you to me. But listen... Each of your actions created more and more mirror in your hallway. These mirrors reflect not only actions... You did things on the orders of the one you trusted by mistake... Where one story ends, another begins.

"I don't understand what you're trying to say. Explain me!"

He silently pointed to the open door. There was nothing behind it. Only darkness and void. Realizing that The Ghost was not going to say anything more, the girl went to the exit. Taking one last look at The Ghost, who stood calmly behind her, waiting for something, the girl stepped forward into the unknown.

The door closed behind her. Forever this time.