Chapter12 - Nights Like This

Liv's POV

The meteor shower lasted for about two hours. Millions of tiny bright LED lights showering from the night sky above us. It looked like an art installation that belonged in a modern museum in New York City or something.

To the left of the grandstand, couples were huddled up in each other's warm embrace, little blanketed intimate nests just stargazing while the rest of the group pretended to not be love sick. I saw Pierre wrap his arm around my friend as she laid her head on his shoulder and even I had to admit that was cute.

I'd never stopped to really think about what they all would be like outside of their cars. Max Verstappen for instance, was soft and endearing with Kelly. He seemed to get along with most of the other drivers contrary to popular belief and was very kind and thoughtful with a childlike sense of humour.

Everyone seemed to be drawn to Daniel too. I think it had something to do with his magnetic smile or how he can easily work a room with his charm alone.

Yes, these people all live in their own little world of a bubble but they are still people at the end of the day who I guess just want to do normal people things too like go up a hill in the middle of the night with their friends, watch the last meteor shower of the year while they hang out over some beer and wine.

I wasn't too familiar with all the drivers but I was getting better at being able to put a face to the name and the team.

"Do you want a drink?" He asked. "They have some coolers over there and I'm thinking of maybe grabbing something."

"Sure, I'd love that. Thanks Lando."

"No worries, I'll be back in a bit."

I pondered in our unassuming spot but walked a little further until I reached the edge of the hill, looking down to the circuit below us. I wonder if they're all this captivating at night.

"I thought he'd never leave," said a voice playfully. I recognised him from before.

When I turned around to look at him, I was met by his quick smile which made my cheeks burn with heat.

"Now why would you go and say something like that?" I asked, tilting my head to one side.

"Would you rather I said something like if I knew you were coming, I would've just brought you up here with me instead?"

He watched me intently while he waited for my response. What is it with these boys? Do they all flirt as a second language? And why do they all look like God took his time putting them together.

"Mick Right?" I asked knowingly.

The German driver approached me and stopped only a few inches away. His blue eyes studied me curiously with an innocent expression while he gently put the two ends of the jacket I was wearing together to zip it up.

"It keeps you warmer if you do this and yes it's Mick. You're Liv if I remember correctly." He towered only slightly over me as I looked up at him, eyes never leaving mine. My hands reached for the loose strands of hair and tucked them behind my ears as I smiled at him with a nod.

"I don't mean to be forward but are you here with Lando tonight?"

"What?" I laughed at his question.

"You laugh but I'm serious," he chuckled. "I'm hoping the answer is no though cause I'd really like to see you again but outside of the paddock." I suddenly became very aware of my breathing or lack thereof.

Mick looked back to the figure approaching us and let out a small sigh. "Your boyfriend is coming back."

"He's not my boyfriend," I muttered.

"Hey Mick. I didn't know you'd be joining us, I would've grabbed a drink for you too." The curly haired Brit handed me a styrofoam cup with liquid contents inside.

"I think you like red wine right?" He asked, not entirely sure he made the right choice.

"Yes, perfect. Thank you," I answered.

"Don't sweat it mate, I was just saying bye to Liv on my way down." He squeezed my arm with one of his hands and leaned in to kiss me on the cheek. His lips were unexpectedly soft and breath warm. "Gute Nacht Liv."

~~

Lando's POV

We stood in silence for about a minute after Mick left. The night was dying down and people were starting to gather back into one big group. I was just about over the wind blowing in my face, it was time for me to go home. I just needed to wait for the perfect opportunity so I could leave unnoticed.

Liv's friend came over to show her something on her phone and the two of them went off in a corner to discuss whatever it was. I took that as my cue to leave.

Sneaking away and trekking down back to the tarred road was easy enough and took less than 10 minutes. I reached Daniel's golf kart and decided to check my phone to see the time and that's when I noticed all the notifications.

       F1 Lando Norris Cheating Scandal

"Oh come on?!" Frustration overcame me as I kicked one of the back tires of the vehicle. My head started spinning with anger because I knew what it was about. The headlines made it seem like I was being unfaithful to Luisa when in reality, she broke up with me a while ago.

"Bad news too?" she asked. I wasn't expecting my boss's daughter to be standing behind me.

"It seems like I can't catch a break." I sighed. "Olivia are you crying?"

"No. Yes. Maybe. I don't know, I promise I'm trying not to."

She was failing miserably, small tears were rolling down the sides of her face. "My head wants to stop but my heart has a mind of it's own. Anyway, that's not why I came, you were leaving without your jacket," she said in between small shallow breaths unzipping it at the front.

I took her face in my hands, rubbing the tears away with my thumbs. Her face had changed quite a bit from the crying. Her eyes were red and tired looking, the mascara had smudged around the lashes giving her a bit of a dark look.

"Olivia?" I asked anxiously now. "Did the others see you cry and just let you leave?"

The girl looked down and shook her head. She must've started crying after she left.

"You don't have to tell me what's going on but I'm definitely not taking the jacket from you in this cold."

"I wanna leave this place," she said quietly.

"Let me take you home then."

"But Bianca is still up there and we're supposed to be going to another friends' place. I just want to go somewhere he hasn't been in this country."

"Then come with me? I'll text Pierre to let him know. He'll look after your friend, she'll be good with him don't worry."

There was a bit of hesitation but then she finally gave an answer.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay," she said once more with a nod this time.

~~
A/N: A little bit of Mick in there for you guys :)