Chapter 34 - By Your Side

Lando's POV

The illness came on soon after we landed in São Paulo. I'd caught a bug and spent the last two days locked up in my hotel room trying to recover from a bout of suspected food poisoning.

Truthfully speaking, being sick distracted me from what happened with Anna and also kept my mind from worrying myself sick about Liv ending up in hospital right after we left. It killed me that we'd left her alone in a foreign country.

For a split second on the plane, when Zak was out cold and everyone else too, there was a moment where I almost caved and gave in to Anna's tight body pressing against mine. It had me briefly considering what the outcome would've been had I risked it all and not stopped her.

I feel immensely guilty just even thinking about it so I brush those thoughts away. I'd never want to intentionally hurt Liv. Cheating on her after everything we've been through, are still going through to be together, would be pointless.

I never fully considered how us dating would affect so many other aspects of our lives.

Even so... It shouldn't be this hard.

My head spins again due to the lack of nutrition in my system. Not being able to keep anything down and driving the car today in those high temperatures took it's toll on me.

"How are you feeling?" My PR manager asks.

"Fine," I answer. She gives me a questioning look that says she knows I'm lying but doesn't push the matter. "You outperformed yourself today Lando. You should be proud."

I nod, flashing her a thumbs up and toggle the thick straw sticking out the red Coca Cola branded bottle with my tongue. The cool contents inside quench my thirst as sweat trickles down the sides of my face. I follow closely behind the publicist to the buzzing media pen where our post race interviews will take place.

"Remember to keep it short and sweet," she says leading the way. I play around with my hair one last time, grateful that I at least haven't thrown up yet. "It'll only be a few minutes," she says with a reassuring smile.

Today is one of those days where everything is draining and I need to dig a little deeper to find the extra strength to do PR stuff with a smile. Yesterday was easier but Saturdays are always more demanding.

"P4 ahead of the race tomorrow! Congratulations," says the reporter excitedly. "So does this mean you've fully recovered Lando?"

Her question makes me shake my head. "No. Not at all." Maybe I shouldn't have drank as much as I did because I feel a little queasy from the cold water settling inside my empty stomach.

"It must be exhausting then? To drive? Especially at the speed of the formula one cars?"

"Yeah, It was really difficult but I'm happy with the results," I say balancing my weight on the barrier between us. "I think it's going to be even tougher tomorrow because I still feel really weak but I'm surviving and the team is working hard."

"But is it safe for you to be driving?"

"Safe for me to be driving?" I repeat.

A subtle tap on my elbow alerts me to be mindful of how I answer the question as we wrap things up.

"No, it's safe. I just struggle with feeling sick as I'm driving. I'm not closing my eyes or anything but I'm just tired you know. So maybe I make a few more mistakes that'll affect my position but not the safety of myself or other drivers. I've been feeling a little better everyday so hopefully tomorrow isn't as much of a struggle and the papaya fans have been incredibly supportive which is always great."