Chapter 20 - Just Basil & Wine

Liv's POV

I balanced the phone against my shoulder as I stepped out of the parked black Jeep Wrangler

"Are you sure about this?," The voice on the other side asks. "I reckon it couldn't hurt but I wouldn't be doing my job as your best friend if I didn't ask you one last time."

For the past couple of days I'd been thinking about what I wanted the rest of the year to look like for me. I want to be more mindful about the decisions I make in regard to the people I keep around me.

Today was a beautiful day, a late Thursday afternoon with the sun radiating the last of its warmth as it was beginning to set.

Zo and I had a couple days of rest and rejuvenation, I felt like a new woman after it all. While everyone continued with their lives, we had a staycation in little old Woking.

Most of our days were filled with binge watching a few shows and some old Disney movies. Bianca came by at some point for a bit but left again to be with Pierre.

"Yeah," I respond. "I think it'll be good for us. I've been avoiding him for too long and besides, this way we can put things to rest, once and for all."

"I hate to break it to you Liv, but putting things to rest isn't really your forte."

We laughed together as I made my way up the stairs to the apartment block. The beige coloured building sits neatly tucked away in a quiet part of the neighbourhood overlooking a lush community park.

"Okay, I'm at his door. I have to love and leave you."

When I agreed to finally do dinner, I told myself that I'd go into it with no expectations because of what's already happened over the last couple of weeks. If anything, it was my opportunity to be straight with him.

But now, standing here alone in front of his door, all I can think is wtf am I doing?

Did I really come all the way across town to tell him to his face that it wouldn't work? Why couldn't I have told him that on the phone when he called me out of the blue yesterday? Why am I feeling nervous?

"Alright," she said. "Goodluck and let me know when you get home."

"Thanks babe, I will." I knocked softly on the door and waited for his approach.

"Let me know also if you don't make it home," she snickered.

"Ohmygawd! Bye."

The F1 driver opened the door and led me into the small but beautifully furnished apartment. Hearty flavourful aromas filled the air with scents of delicious food being prepared.

"You look really beautiful," he says with a touch of shyness and for some reason his awkwardness melts my heart and makes me blush. This isn't going to be as easy as I thought.