Chapter15 - Delusion of Grandeur

Lando's Pov

It's Tuesday morning and we're in one of the simulator rooms at The McLaren Technology Centre wrapping up a session. The team made a small detour to London before flying out to the next Grand Prix.

My eyes light up looking at the text message before me.

John must've seen the sudden worry in my face because he asks, "Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost mate

John must've seen the sudden worry in my face because he asks, "Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost mate."

I chuckle scratching the back of my head. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just getting an earful from Max about leaving the dishes in the sink again."

The trainer raises an eyebrow at me but waves it off. "Okay mate, see you tonight at the dinner."

For a moment I forget about my trainer, about sim racing and McLaren. I think about Liv and how her one thing has always been that Zak could never find out about anything that's happened between us.

Before there was nothing really to find out but after Sunday, even I trip over my own feet when I think about all the ways she was moaning and screaming my name into the early hours of the night.

"Earth to Lando?" Charlotte's small fingers snap in my face.

"Sorry Charlotte, I didn't see you there. What were you saying?"

"I asked if you were on your way up to see Zak? I heard he cleared his lunch meeting to see you. Must be important," she said smiling.

"I drive for McLaren," I said in my most fake confident voice. "That is important enough."

In all honesty, I was ready to piss myself right there and then but I tried to not let the fear of the unknown take over.

This wasn't the first time he'd asked me to meet him or have lunch with him. It surely wasn't going to be the last either but it was the first time he'd asked me since knowing he was Liv's father.

We took the glass elevator up and made a quick right into the hallway. His office was situated at the corner and had a beautiful view of the water outside.

Charlotte knocked on his door and peeked her head inside before announcing, "Hi Zak,
special delivery for you." My face went red as a tomato. "Thanks Charlotte, you can send him in."

I sigh walking into the modern office. Somehow it feels like I'm a sheep walking into the lion's den. I feel small and try to hide my insecurity behind my smile.

"Don't be shy, come on in. You can close the door behind you."

I decide to calm down. I do this all the time, overthink and get worked up by things that haven't even happened. Things that in most cases never even happen. I remind myself that there's nothing to tell or to worry about. This'll be over soon.

Zak shuts the laptop in front of him closed and ushers me to sit at the coffee table in the corner. It is decked out for two with delicious healthy looking food.