Chapter 27 - Three's A Crowd

Liv's POV

"Have you ever seen anything like this?" I ask Jon as he prepares to help walk me back to my car.

The F1 fans with vip paddock passes at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez grounds are camped outside every team hospitality after the race hoping to catch a glimpse of their favourite drivers on their way out.

Lando's personal trainer looks at me with worried eyes, "Honestly, last year was a bit like this too but I think the reports said close to 400 000 people would be in attendance this weekend. I doubt anyone expected this kind of overcrowding."

In the end, it was a rollercoaster of a race on Sunday. A special moment for the team came with Daniel being announced driver of the day. We finished in P7 and P9 respectfully which I think everyone was happy with. I'm glad Isa and I got to watch the race together in the papaya garage before she was escorted back to the Ferrari establishment.

Jon holds out his elbow for me when we arrive at the doors, "You ready?" he asks. I suspect Lando shared our news with him because he's been extra nice towards me today. Walking me to my car was also his idea since it looked like the McLaren driver would be busy still, even after the race.

"Let's do this," I say reaching for his arm. A small skip of my heart makes me miss Lando, I think because we barely spent any time together at the grid. I think I've missed him even before last night. Truthfully speaking, we would've never been able to walk out together with all the madness of today, it wouldn't have been a good idea.

"Bienvenidos a México," the trainer says leading us out. (Welcome to Mexico.)

There's a big swarm of people outside making it difficult to get back to the exit. The walkway is lined with different faces speaking in a combination of Spanish and English, a few children but mostly excited adults. A little ahead of us I notice Pierre getting ambushed by fans trying to get autographs. A camera crew follow behind him but aren't really too interested in doing anything to help.

"Olivia! Olivia!" someone calls out from behind us but Jon nudges me forward.

My hands get clammy when the claustrophobic feeling begins to build. I lower my face under my cap to keep from prying eyes and tighten my hold on his arm as a few people recognise him as Lando's trainer. "It'll be over soon," he says loudly. "We're almost there." He's moving quickly and pushing people aside to clear the path.

"Olivia you dumb bitch," the voice hisses sharply when someone bumps my shoulder. The words came fast but they were so close I could feel the person breathe on top of me when their nails dug into my elbow. I immediately gasp for air and stop to turn and face them but all I see are a dozen unfamiliar eager faces pushing up against me. She's gone as quickly as she came.

I look back to Jon and I'm certain my eyes widen with shock and fear as he also turns around to look at me. My grip on his arm is so tight, he reaches for it with his hand and asks me if I'm alright. "We need to keep moving before they completely surround us," the trainer says.

Somewhere nearby a woman's voice shouts, "Look! It's Olivia Brown, Lando's new girlfriend." An eery feeling overcomes me because I know that voice from somewhere but where? And why do I feel like she just exposed something about us we weren't ready to share with the world yet.

Within seconds the crowd goes in a frenzy and we get mobbed by fans shoving phones in my face, asking for selfies or taking videos. Jon is doing his best to navigate the situation as much as he can but there are too many overly enthusiastic people to control.

I try to appear calm and nod my head to the man reassuringly. We're almost there I think, if we can just get passed the Red Bull and Mercedes motor homes. "Lo siento, no hablo español," he says to someone speaking Spanish to him. (Sorry, I don't speak Spanish.)