Chapter 2: Chasing the Win-d

"Eyes as blue as the azure sky...that is the symbol of The Contractor"
—————
"How could you miss a dead body?"

Wednesday, the Sherrif and Principal Weems walk through the school to her office.

"Cause it wasn't there. No footprints, no blood, no sign of a struggle. Nothing, nada. My search party looked all night." The Sheriff listed off, as annoyed and angry as he was.

"Well, your search party must have left their seeing-eye dogs at home. I saw that monster kill Rowan right in front of me." Wednesday claims.

"Get a good look at this monster thing?"

"It didn't stick around for a chat."

"Maybe it was one of your classmates." The sheriff said accusingly, which Principal Weems cut in now upset.

"Sheriff, I find that question offensive."

"I don't care, 'cause I got three other dead bodies in the morgue. Hikers just ripped apart in the woods."

"The mayor said those were bear attacks." Weems furrows her brow at the Sheriff who is unfazed by her upset nature.

"Well, the mayor and I disagree on that."

"So you automatically assume a Nevermore student is the murderer, even though there's no evidence a crime was even committed."

"I'm sorry. I forgot, you only teach the good outcasts here, right?" The Sheriff scowls at Weems, they enter her office finally and The sheriff sits across from Weems and her desk, which she promptly sits at as well.

"My guess is Rowan ran away. State troopers have put out an alert, and I've contacted his family, but they haven't heard from him either." Weems explains.

"Dead people are notoriously bad at returning calls." Wednesday's strong demeanor unwaivered as did her belief.

"What were you doing out in the woods with him, Ms. Addams?" The sheriff asked, "I heard a noise in the forest and went to go investigate. That's when I stumbled upon the attack."

"Then what happened?"

"Then I ran into Bianca Barclay, and I told her to go for help. The next thing I remember, I was awaking in my dorm."

"And just to be clear, this monster wasn't a bear or some other wild animal?"

"I've hibernated with grizzlies. I know the difference." Wednesday replies, and Weems was noticeably taken aback before fixing herself.

"Thank you, Sheriff. I think Miss Addams is done now--"

"Actually, I would like to speak to Sheriff Galpin. Alone." Wednesday said, and there was an ominous edge to it.

"I'm not sure I can allow that." Weems begins but the sheriff, notices what Wednesday is trying to do and jumps in."

"I'm sure I could take her to the station and get a formal statement. Yeah, let's go." He begins but Weems quickly stops him.

"Fine. You have five minutes, and everything is off the record. Play nice... or I will call the mayor." Weems leaves the both of them alone to discuss.

"Someone is trying to cover up Rowan's murder. That's the only reason to scrub the crime scene."

"Is that your professional opinion as the daughter of a murderer?"

"My father's twice the man you are, and the only thing he murders is the occasional opera in the shower."

"It's been a long night. I'm tired of your games. I'm not playing games."

"I'm telling the truth. You want to reject my claims but you can't. Why is that? Because you and I both know there's a monster out there. And Rowan is his latest victim." Wednesday said, her cold dark eyes staring holes into the eyes of the sheriff. Suddenly, the deputy of the sheriff steps into the office.