Chapter 3: The Whispers in the Wind

"Eyes as blue as the azure sky...that is the symbol of The Contractor"
—————
"Woah, Woah see that guy right there? bag over his head and his wrist tied just hard enough that he doesn't lose circulation, with the insanely threatening yet strangely cute girl tied up right beside him. Well believe it or not that guy's actually me, now I bet you're wondering how I got into this wacky situation...well so am I."

Y/N and Wednesday sit side by side in chairs, tied with ropes and bags over their heads. Their bags are eventually removed. They're still in the library, only now surrounded by masked and cloaked individuals.

"Hey jackasses hate to break it to you but you're a little too early for Halloween, oh, and piece of advice if you're gonna kidnap people don't dress like kidnappers." He says, and one of the members steps forward.

"Who dares breach our inner sanctum?" They say.

"You can take the mask off, Bianca." "Yeah, your nasty ass wind gave you away, so hurry this up and stop embarrassing yourself." They said, and Bianca removes her mask.

"And just like that, my hopes were dashed against the rocks of bitter disappointment. My foe was no psychotic killer. More like a bunch of high school clowns." Wednesday thought. "Wait, I preferred you with it on." "And I preferred when we were bagged." Y/N added

"How did you get down here?"

"I tracked the watermark to the Poe statue. Then I solved the riddle to get us in here." Wednesday said.

"Wait, there's a riddle? I thought we just snapped twice." One member asks.

"Wow, that's just fucking sad."

"Well, aren't you the brightest in the bunch?

"The Nightshades are an elite social club." Bianca said, and Xavier steps up, revealing himself alongside Ajax and the other members. "Emphasis on elite."

"We have roof parties, campouts, the occasional midnight skinny dip. And Yoko's an amateur mixologist. She makes a killer virgin mojito. It can get pretty wild."

"Wow. Do you guys even have a bedtime?" "They probably stay up all night doing each other's nails and talking about boys?" Wednesday and Y/N fired back bouncing off one another seamlessly. "Last I heard, the Nightshades had been disbanded."

"Yeah, the group kind of lost its charter 30 years ago after some normie kid died." Xavier adds in.

"But we have a lot of wealthy alumni, so Weems looks the other way as long as nobody makes any waves." Yoko said.

"Someone like Rowan?" Wednesday asked.

"We booted that loser last semester. Question is, what are we gonna do with her? Only members are allowed in this library." Bianca asks, and Xavier steps up next to them

"I say we invite them to pledge. Wednesday is a legacy, and no one has ever really seen anything like Y/N before, whatever he is."

"After the crap she pulled in the Poe Cup, there's no way in hell. We talk about not making waves? She's a tsunami and he's a tornado."

"Wow, somebody's a sore loser." Y/N muffles

"Just because I beat you at your own game? Let me save you the trouble. I'm not interested in joining and neither is Y/N" Wednesday said and Y/N nods in agreement

"You're seriously turning us down" one of them asks

"Can you believe it?" "I know I can." Wednesday and Y/N respond coldly

"Untie them." Bianca tells Xavier

"I freed myself five minutes ago." Wednesday stands up, showing her untied rope. "And I..." Y/N quickly summons up a small gust of wind that cuts apart his binds before standing up a swell "Could have done that anytime I wanted to." Wednesday grabs the drawing from Xavier and on their way out the siren with the black eye stands in their way and Y/N just scoffs.