Chapter 40

Hello lovely readers and happy new year! 🙂

This is just a quick little note before this chapter starts. First of all, thank you for your continued patience in waiting for my updates. I work full time and over the Christmas new year period when I was on holidays I was swamped by constant visitors and other family obligations so the time I had left to try and write was next to non existent, so thank you for bearing with me while I tried to get this one out. You're all legends and I really appreciate your continued support for my story. 

So I really just wanted to say that writing this chapter was extremely far out of my comfort zone. I have been terrified of writing the third segment of this chapter for months now and I feel like I need to just remind everybody that this story is an entire work of fiction. I do not have DID, I do not know anybody who has DID and I am very aware that people who have this disorder may experience things very differently from what is portrayed in this story. So if the events that take place in the last section of this chapter seem too far fetched or don't reflect what people with DID actually experience just know that I mean no offence to those who do suffer from this disorder.  

With that off my chest, I hope you all enjoy the update, and as always feel free to let me know what you thought of the chapter by leaving a comment or voting.

Best wishes to you all for this year ahead. ❤️

KENZIE

"Please Ben, just one more chapter and I promise we can do something else." I plead almost desperately as my best friend reads out the last sentence of the current chapter.

"You said that three chapters ago, Kenz." Ben laughs in response, ignoring my terrible attempt at puppy dog eyes while marking our place in the book with a random receipt I had sitting on my desk.

"But Bennnn, I need to know what happens next!" I groan in frustration, grabbing two fistfuls of my hair and gently yanking outwards. To anyone else I would probably look like a crazy person, but Ben simply ignores my dramatics by placing the now closed book on a clear section of the desk.

"Then you're just going to have to wait until next time I'm here, either that or you go and ask Chris or somebody else to read it to you, I'm sure any one of them would love to." He replies in a playful tone.

"Look, how about this; if we can get ourselves to the Wonky Chopstick, make at least two test batches of our orange dumpling desert and clean everything up again before the lunch rush then I will read you another chapter when we get you back home, how does that sound?" he tries to bargain with me once he sees the dissatisfied pout that has involuntarily made its way onto my lips.

"Ok, I guess so." I nod in agreement, knowing full well that I will be able to convince him to read me more than one chapter anyway. He's way too invested in this book to stop at just one chapter.

"Sweet, now we should probably head downstairs so you can have some breakfast and get yourself sorted for the day. I don't see Chris or Nathan letting you leave this house on an empty stomach." Ben smirks in amusement having seen on multiple occasions how pedantic the guys in this house can be about meal times.

"I think I would have a better chance at winning the lottery." I agree while standing up from my bed and smoothing out the sheets from where they had been crumpled.

"You good?" He asks once I am finished straightening out the bed and have placed Basil at the centre between my pillows.

"Yeah, let's go." I answer with a confirmatory nod, pivoting on my heels so that I am facing towards the bedroom door where Ben is waiting beneath the frame.