Chapter 10

KENZIE

Something seems different.

Looking around my room there are no obvious signs that any major changes have been made, but I know for sure that the room isn't the same as it had been last night. My homework which had been splayed out on the bed is stacked in a neat pile on the desk and the door which had been propped closed by the chair is now wide open allowing free passage for anyone to walk in.

I wouldn't be too worried if it wasn't for the fact that I had deliberately locked myself in the room to protect myself from the other people who live in the house. There is no way on earth I would have opened that door of my own accord.

Despite feeling completely disorientated by my surroundings, I decide to let it go for the time being knowing that I will probably need to save my energy for the confrontation that is yet to come. Most of my previous foster families may have let my behaviour slide, but I am certain that Nathan, Will and Chris are going to be a different story.

Walking in to the bathroom, I take a hot shower before adorning myself in a fresh set of clothes. This time instead of wearing Nathan's hoodie, I decide to try out one of the new jumpers hanging in my wardrobe. It's bright pink, super fluffy and almost feels as if I am being hugged by a cloud. The perfect jumper for sitting outside in the garden.

As I make my way down the stairs I almost make it to the front door before I am abruptly stopped by the sight of Mitchell walking around the corner towards the stair case.

"Where are you going, Mack?" Mitchell asks, tilting his head to the side while giving me an odd look.

"Outside...?" I answer drawing it out to sound like a question, hoping that he will explain himself.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" He asks seriously, instantaneously making me feel self-conscious.

Looking down at my attire, I make sure that I am wearing enough clothes to be deemed appropriate for outside activities before turning my confused gaze back to Mitchell when I don't see anything wrong. An amused smile tugs at the corner of his mouth as he watches me scramble through my memories in search of the one he believes that I should have, but can't find.

"You're meant to be having breakfast with James this morning, remember?" He prompts.

No, I don't remember. I have been hiding in my room ever since Will grabbed my arm last night and I think that I would remember making plans to have breakfast with James, especially since I have been trying to avoid his impromptu counselling sessions for the past two weeks. If anything, I had planned on skipping breakfast altogether and spending the morning in the front garden where no one would bother me.

I'm about to tell him that I have no idea what he is talking about but before I get the chance I am interrupted by Will who comes walking down the corridor from the direction of the kitchen.

"Hey sweetheart, I was just about to come up and get you. James is already in the kitchen and I think he made you a special surprise for breakfast." His voice has a playful tone to it, the opposite of what it had been last night when he was interrogating me about my behaviour at school.

Looking at the man in front of me there are no signs of his previous anger evident in his features. His stance is relaxed and his face is graced with his usual friendly smile, nowhere close to how he had been last night which only confuses me further.

Why is he being so nice right now? Did he forget that I broke several of the rules yesterday and that he is angry at me because of it?

Stepping slightly away from him, I simply nod my head, too afraid to say anything in case I trigger his temper. Last night was scary enough for me to not want to be in that situation again.