Chapter 25

KENZIE

"Go Fish!"

"Hey, that's not fair! You cheated!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Prove it!"

This is what "family time" sounds like in our household. Its noisy and chaotic and the last thing I want to be dealing with after waking up from my blissful nap. I had wanted to stay in bed for a little while longer, but Will insisted that I wouldn't be able to sleep later on if I didn't wake up right then. I get the feeling that I won't be able to sleep later on either way so I don't understand why letting me nap for a little longer would have been such a bad thing.

Everyone is sitting around the coffee table at the centre of the living room, except Chris and I who opted to remain sitting on the couch instead of the hard floor. The others have cushions to sit on, but every now and then I can see the flash of regret on Will and Nathan's faces as they adjust themselves into a comfier position, all the while glaring daggers at Chris who wears a smug grin each time their eyes meet.

They had originally started off plying Uno, however when Mitchell kept destroying everyone, they moved onto other card games such as poker, snap and now go fish. Mostly, I have just stayed sitting next to Chris who declared that the two of us would be playing as a team, partially because I don't understand how to play most of these games, but mostly because he doesn't want me to exclude myself like I usually do during these occasions.

Right now, Nathan and James are bickering between themselves about whether James won the last round of go fish fairly. From what I witnessed there were no signs of cheating on James's part, however the same can't be said for Will who has definitely spent the entire game peaking at Nathan's deck in the reflection of the front window. I never would have thought that he would be the type to cheat in a card game, but now that I am aware of his sly behaviour I will be sure to use it to my advantage later on.

"Why don't you ask Mitchell, he's been watching our moves like a hawk all night." James suggests with a laugh, throwing his hands up in mock surrender while Nathan whips his head towards Mitchell in search of some back up.

"Sorry Nate, he won fair and square." Mitchell shrugs apologetically, wincing slightly when Nathan deflates with a childish pout while the rest of us merely watch on in amusement.

"You all suck." Nathan grumbles under his breath, tossing his hand of cards onto the coffee table with a defeated sigh which only makes the others laugh again. I don't blame him though, the others do seem to like targeting him whenever they play these types of games, probably because he gives the best reactions, but it must become frustrating after a while.

"Are you sure about that Nate, because the last time I checked you were the only one who hasn't won a game so far tonight." Chris snickers as he tosses his own hand of cards onto the table.

"I'll win something tonight. You just wait and see."

"Unless there is a prize for being a sore loser, I don't think so." Will chuckles while ruffling the top of Nathan's hair until it resembles a birds nest which elicits an annoyed huff out of the younger man.

"If you don't stop being mean to me, I'll call aunt Rosa and tell her that you've been using bottled sauce in your lasagna instead of making it yourself." Nathan threatens playfully while smoothing down the worst of the mess on top of his head.

"That's a low blow, you leave my mama out of this." Will retorts, jabbing a finger playfully in Nathan's direction while trying to sound serious, but the wide smile of his face makes it obvious that this entire scenario is nothing more than a game between them.