Chapter 3

KENZIE

Brothers?

"How about I explain everything when we are inside. My house mates are excited to meet you and I'm sure they would like to be the ones to introduce themselves." Nathan suggests, pulling the keys from the ignition while giving me a hopeful smile.

I find it hard to believe that anybody would be excited to meet me. They must be aware of my previous track record when it comes to foster homes. The idea of taking in someone who has been through the number of placements that I have can't exactly be exciting.

Despite having my doubts, I know that there is no other option for me to take right now. This is just another temporary roof over my head until Nathan either gets sick of me or the agency miraculously finds another placement that they think will suit me better than the one I am currently in.

With a nod of my head I grab one of the straps to my backpack and step outside into the chilly evening air. The wind is nowhere near as strong as it had been this morning but I still pull the edges of my jumper closer to my body in an attempt to retain the warmth I had gained in the car.

Nathan is rifling around in the boot of the car, leaving me to admire the place that I would be calling home for the near future. The house itself is large and there is a large strip of lush looking grass blanketing the spacious front yard. The facade of the house is comprised of a stylish mix of stone and natural timbers making it look both elegant and cozy.

Despite the dark colour scheme, the windows are illuminated by the lights inside the house, casting a warm yellow glow over the front yard. This house is everything that I have never had before and I have to remind myself for what feels like the hundredth time that this is only temporary.

"Home, sweet home." Nathan says from behind me, pulling me out of my dazed state. "Come on, its cold out here." He adds, motioning towards the large front door with his head as his arms are occupied with a laptop bag and some manilla folders.

Following Nathan up the stepping stone footpath towards the door I can't help but feel slightly nervous. Most of the time when I had been placed with a new foster family there was no emotions attached at all. I would turn up at their house, they would show me around and I would do my best to make my presence not existent.

Some of the families had tried endlessly to include me in their day to day and social lives, but none of them were ever successful. I couldn't afford to grow attached to anybody, because I knew the moment I did it would all be torn away from me.

Nathan told me that the people inside the house were excited to meet me, which means that they are going to want to bond with me and this time I have a feeling that they won't be as quick to give up when I don't show the same enthusiasm in return.

Before I get the chance to squash down the worst of my nerves, Nathan has already opened the door and is ushering me into the brightly lit foyer. Without taking in my surroundings, I blindly follow Nathan through the lower floor of the house until we are suddenly standing at the entrance of a spacious kitchen.

The low hum of conversation that had been present ceases the moment the men in the room catch sight of Nathan. From my spot behind Nathan I can see four men, one of them is cooking something over the stove, another two are leaning casually against the marble kitchen counter and the last one is sitting at the dining room table.

"Hey Nate, how was your day?" The man sitting at the table asks in a cheery voice. Even from my hiding spot I can tell that he is a police officer from the light blue uniform shirt that adorns the top half of his body.

"It was good thanks Chris. The morning was a bit busy, but the afternoon was a lot better." Despite the fact that Nathan's back is turned to me I can tell he is smiling.