#1 The other children

"Other four children will be arriving by the later train this afternoon. "

Oh, this couldn't be happening. I was excited about the peace and here I am waiting to be accompanied by another four brats. I hope they will know how to behave at least.

"What's that ungrateful face for?" She said.

"At least you'll have some company, I think you will appreciate it for your sort of conditions. If I were in your shoes I would be grateful, two of those kids are your age. I think you will have some things in common." She let out a bit of a sigh at the thought of having three teenagers under the roof.

"There will be two boys and two girls. You will be sharing a room with the female part of the siblings. The boys on the other hand will have their room, located right opposite yours."

I stayed silent thinking about how horrible will be my stay here. After another lecture on what can and can't be done in the house, I finally reached the stairs and got to my room.

I opened the door and saw three beds.

So it was true then. I will have to share a room with two other girls.

"I can't believe it, this big of a mansion and I have to share a room with the other two? Ridiculous." I mumbled under my breath.

I put my suitcase and bag on a bed that was close to the window. The great thing is that I'm here first and I can claim the best bed to sleep in.

I unpacked everything that my luggage carried. I put books on my nightstand and my clothes in the small wardrobe on the right side of the door, which not surprisingly, I will have to share too.

I hate sharing.

The rest of the things I packed were left in the suitcase. I became too lazy to find a place for them. I Iaid on the bed and stared at the ceiling. I wonder where dad is.

My relationship with my dad wasn't always the best. We had some rough times since we were always alone, that is what makes us a bit close. But apart from that I don't feel any kind of big daughterly love towards him. He just raised me. That's it.

I laid in my bed for at least two hours. I didn't sleep though. I was just thinking about what would happen if war wasn't happening.

Suddenly the door opened. Can someone in here knock at least?

It was Mrs. McCready. "I'm leaving to pick up the four. I want you waiting by the door when we arrive. you're already more at home here than they are. I hope you'll give them a warm welcome."

I got up from my bed. I had around 30 minutes to get ready. I opened the wardrobe and picked a white shirt and a plain blue skirt.

After I put everything on I decided to get downstairs and explore a little bit of the garden that's surrounding the house.

It took a while before I heard the carriage coming towards me. I quickly ran to the door, putting on a fake smile.

There she was, Mrs. McCready, and sitting behind her, there were four kids. Before I even got the chance to look at them I heard Mrs. McCready say:

"Go on Veronica, open the door, and wait for us inside."

As I said I didn't have any opportunities to make friends. That's probably because I'm homeschooled and the kids in our neighborhood are either way older than me or way younger. I think that's why I don't feel particularly happy having to share space with four other kids.

The wait took only around 3 minutes before I saw Mrs. McCready and the four enter the house.

A girl, around my age, was the first behind Macready. She gave me a slight smile when she saw me. She was holding hands with her younger sister. From my guess, she had to be the youngest.