#2 Hide and seek

The sun was already up for a while when Peter knocked on the door and entered the girls' room.

"Good morning everyone-" He quickly stopped when he realized that all three were still silently sleeping. But what caught his attention more was Veronica's bed being empty. He looked around and saw Lucy's bed being more full than he was used to seeing. He walked up closer and saw sleeping Lucy, who was held close by no one other than Veronica herself.

Peter smiled at the view.

Veronica was very beautiful. But seeing her sleeping so peacefully and holding his younger sister in her arms made Peter realize how beautiful she was from the inside too. She didn't like sharing her things or her space. But here she was holding Lucy as if her life depended on it.

He laughed quietly and stayed a couple more seconds looking at the two. Then he walked out of the room carefully shutting the door. He was still smiling.

****

I woke up, still in Lucy's bed. She was already up and she was looking through the fairytale book I was reading to her from yesterday night.

"Good morning Roonie!" She greeted me when she saw that I was up. "Hello," I said sounding still a bit confused from waking up.

"Hey, sleepy head." Susan was up too. She was already in her daytime clothes. Unlike Lucy and me. We were still in our pajamas.

"What happened at night? That you're in Lucy's bed?" She asked with a cheeky smile.

"Oh, Lucy wanted a bedtime story and you were sleeping, I had to do the job." I laughed. "Lucy c'mon! Veronica said she doesn't like things like this!" Susan turned to Lucy.

"It's okay Susan. I wasn't even a page in and Lucy fell asleep."

"I didn't mean the reading, I meant the bed sharing and stuff." She nodded towards Lucy's bed.

"It was kind of impossible to leave so I had to sacrifice myself," I said, putting the back of my hand on my forehead trying to be dramatic.

Lucy started laughing and jumping on the bed. "You're now officially my second big sister, you passed the bedtime story test!" She said.

The door opened and Peter entered. "Oh you're finally all up, let's go and get some breakfast."

"You go, I need to get dressed." I sighed. Peter nodded looking right at me. Is something wrong? He seems different.

"Where's Ed?" Susan asked. "He probably went downstairs by himself. He never listens, you know that."

****

"Gastrovascular. C'mon Peter gastrovascular!" It started to rain after we finished having breakfast. We all stayed in the living room since. I brought my book and the rest were playing some kind of guessing game. I didn't try to find out what's the point of it.

"Is it Latin?" Peter sighed. "Yes." Susan answered.
Ed sat up on the ground. "Is it Latin for 'the worst game ever invented?' ".
I let out a snort of quiet laughter at his words. But Peter have him a warning look.

"We could play hide and seek!" Lucy said excitingly.
"But we're already having so much fun," Peter told her ironically. Susan snapped the book shut. I again let out a quiet laugh.

That caught Peter's attention, he looked at me and laughed too.

"C'mon Peter please!!" Lucy begged. Peter turned to her, smiled, and started counting.

"1, 2, 3,..."

Both Susan and Edmund rolled their eyes. I stayed sitting on the couch. "Oh Veronica, you're not going to stay here, c'mon you're playing with us!" Susan said as she grabbed me by my arm. I stood up. Oh god, really?