#3 The magical entrance

"You're not saying you believe her?" Peter asked, confused.

We were in the professor's office after Lucy bumped into him, crying.

"Well don't you?" Professor answered.
"Well logically it couldn't be there, it's impossible!" Susan added. "What do they teach kids at school these days?" Professor mumbled to himself, but we all heard him.

"Edmund said that they were just pretending," Peter said. "And he's usually the most truthful one is he?" The professor looked at him. "No, this would be the first time." Peter looked down at his shoes.

"Well then, if your sister isn't lying and she isn't mad, then logically we must assume that she is telling the truth!" Professor exclaimed.

"You're saying that we should believe her?" Peter looked back at the professor. "She's your sister, isn't she? You're her family! It might just be time you try acting like one!" He replied. "And why are you so quiet over there?" I looked up and realized that he was talking to me.

"Ehm, I actually believe her professor." He smiled. "See, she knows the little one for only a day and she's a better family to her than you are all together!" He said turning to the two siblings standing by my side.

"Well, off you go to sleep. It's late." He stood up and walked us to the door. "Goodnight," he whispered. "Goodnight," we said in response.

"What was all that about?" Susan asked, "Is he going mad?" I looked at her. "I don't know. He believes her, and I believe her. You do what you want." I let out a sigh. Susan looked into my eyes and then said: "I'm going to sleep. Night." She gave us an awkward smile and left for the bedroom.

"I'm going too, night." I started to walk to catch up with Susan not looking at Peter. "Roon, please wait," Peter said. I came to a halt when I heard the nickname. My stomach turned upside down.

"Can we talk about what happened downstairs?" He asked. I turned to him. "I'm tired Peter, I need to go," I said and headed towards mine and the girls' room. I didn't hear Peter's footsteps behind me. He must have stood there for a while before he decided to go too.

****

The following days were very tense. Lucy wasn't talking to anyone, but me. She couldn't forgive them for not believing her.

Peter tried talking to me many times, about that one night, but I always refused to discuss anything. Not that I didn't want to, I guess I just wasn't ready. But no matter what I did I always had the moment on my mind. I woke up thinking about it, I went to sleep thinking about it.

We never talked about the wardrobe, Narnia, or the incident with the professor. We didn't even try to find out if Edmund was really lying or not. What I figured out, was that Peter nor Susan believed Lucy.

Since Lucy was mad at everyone, she insisted on me reading her a bedtime story every night. And I ended up sleeping in her bed many times too. It felt like having a little sister would feel like.

"Can you tell me some stories Mr. Tumnus has told you?" I asked Lucy one day. "Do you really want to hear them?" Lucy asked excitingly. "Of course! Why wouldn't I?" I answered.

Lucy talked for hours. She explained how she met Mr tumnus. She mentioned how some white witch rules in Narnia and how there's always winter and no Christmas because of her. How there's a lamppost in the middle of the forest.

I believed her, of course. I didn't know if it was, in fact, true. But I wanted it to be. From spending hours reading fantasy books, there wasn't anything that I wanted more than some kind of adventure. I was quite jealous of Lucy actually.