#7 Edmund's return

"It's been two hours since they went to look for him," Peter said.

It was getting dark and there were no soldiers with Edmund by their side in sight. We were sitting by our tent, Susan and Lucy went away somewhere. Susan clearly wanted me to talk to Peter about that thing. There was no way it was happening, in these circumstances.

"Don't worry, they will be back by the morning, I'm sure." I smiled, trying to reassure him.

"What if something happened?" He asked. "He could get hurt, or they couldn't find him. Or they found him but couldn't get him and they have been kidnapped by The Witch too." He was talking all over the place. And he was scared, I could see it.

"Relax, I know that he's okay. And so is everyone else." I stroked his shoulder with my hand. "There's no need to worry, Peter," I added. He smiled.

"Do you know where the girls are?" I stood up. "I think I'm gonna go and fetch them so we can all go get some dinner." I continued.

"Ehm I think they are still probably by the river," Peter answered. "You coming with me?" I asked. He just simply smiled and nodded.

We walked quite slowly and in silence. We were still in shock from the wolf incident earlier that day. And we were nervous about Edmund coming back. If he was to come back. Hopefully, he would.

Our hands bumped into each other many times during the walk. I felt something strange wash all over me every time it happened. I've never felt something like this.

The sisters were as Peter said, by the river. "Hey, do you want to go and have some dinner?" I asked loudly so they could hear me through the sound of the water. "Yeah sure," Lucy answered and stood up running ahead. Peter followed her and I waited for Susan. I could tell that she wanted to talk, so we stayed behind.

"I know you did that on purpose by the way," I said. "What?" She asked, trying to act confused. "That you left Peter and me alone and went away with Lucy," I said. Susan let out a quiet laugh. "I have to disappoint you, but your plan didn't work."

"Ugh! What did you two do then if not talk?" Susan jokingly grunted. "Ehm we did talk, a bit," I said. "But not what you wanted us to talk about." I continued.

"What then?" Susan asked.

"Look, he's worried about Ed. If he's gonna come back or not. He is scared that something went wrong. I can't just talk about our little incident when there are much important things to deal with."

"Yeah, you're right." Susan sighed. "I'm not that worried about Ed tho. I trust Orieus and his soldiers. They are gonna get him back. I know it." She added. "Yeah, I think so too." I agreed.

We slowly walked back to the camp. For dinner, we had some toast. I didn't even question where they got it. I was starting to adjust to the whole magical land thing.

After we finished eating we got to bed. Susan and I talked for a while before she dosed off. Peter was still awake and so was Lucy. And she, of course, wanted a bedtime story. I, unfortunately, didn't have any books with me so I had to make up something.

I finished after a while and Lucy was asleep. But not just her, Peter had his eyes closed and mouth wide open. I let out a chuckle at the sight. I walked to my bed and blew out the candles. "Good night," I whispered to myself.

****

In the morning, I was awoken by no one other than Lucy.

"Wake up! It's a new day and Edmund is back!!" She exclaimed as she was jumping on the mattress.