#4 The prophecy

We were at the beaver's house. Talking beaver's to be exact. After our encounter with Mr. Beaver, as he was called, he told us that he knows Mr Tumnus and that we should follow him to his house. Well, a dam actually.

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked. We were sitting at a very small table. "They'll have taken him to the Witches. You know what they say. There's few that go through them gates that come out again." Mr. Beaver answered.

Mrs. Beaver, Mr. Beaver's wife, came over to the table and put some plates on the table. "Fish 'n' chips!" She exclaimed. Susan and I looked at each other. The food didn't exactly look very nice.

Lucy was looking very sad from what she had heard had happened to Mr. Tumnus. "But there is hope, dear. Lots of hope." Mrs. Beaver said, looking at her and smiling. "Oh, yeah, there's a right bit more than hope!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed. "Aslan is on the move!"

I felt a weird but very nice wave of warmth as I heard the strange name. Aslan. Even the siblings looked serene and peaceful. Edmund came over from where he was sitting.

"Who's Aslan?" He asked.

Mr. Beaver let out a loud laugh. "Who's Aslan?" He laughed even more. "You cheeky little blighter." We all looked at each other and Mrs. Beaver nudged her husband on his shoulder. "What?" He asked looking up at her. Then he looked at us and our confused faces.

"You don't know, do you?" He asked us. We looked at each other shaking our heads, then Peter decided to speak. "Well, we haven't exactly been here very long." Mr. Beaver let out a sigh. "Well, he's only the king of the whole wood. The top geezer. The real King of Narnia!"

We all looked at each other. Edmund pulled a face and walked away. "He's been away for a long while." Mrs. Beaver added. "But he's just got back! And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!"

What? For us? Where?

"He's waiting for us?" I asked. "You're blooming joking!" Mr. Beaver said. "They don't even know about the prophecy! He turned to Mrs. Beaver.

"Well, then..." She sighed looking at her husband who then decided to speak. "Look. Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!" Mr. beaver declared. "You're blaming us?" Susan asked, raising her voice. "No! Not blaming. Thanking you!" Mrs. Beaver replied. There was silence. We all were trying to figure out what exactly were the talking animals trying to say.

"There's a prophecy." Mr. Beaver suddenly broke the silence. "When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits at Cair Paravel on throne, the evil time will be over and done." He continued. "You know that doesn't really rhyme," Susan said. I looked at her and quietly laughed. It really didn't.

"Yeah, I know it don't, but you're kinda missin' the point!" Mr. Beaver spat at her. "It has long been foretold that two Sons of Adam and three Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia." Mrs. Beaver added as she smiled and took Mr. Beaver's paw into hers.

We are supposed to defeat the witch?

"And you think we're the ones???" Peter asked. Mr Beaver was quick to answer. "Well you'd better be, 'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army." I sat in silence, taking all in the new information. I think I was in a bit of a shock.

"Our army?" Lucy asked unsurely. The beavers quietly nodded. "Mum sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in a war." Susan turned to Peter. "Well, not me," I said, looking up at her. Peter gave me a sharp look, then he turned to speak to the beavers.

"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes!" He shuddered. Mr. and Mrs. Beaver's gaze dropped to the floor in disappointment.

"Thank you for your hospitality. But we really have to go." Susan stood up and so did Peter. Lucy and I kept sitting.