#10 The battle

A little trigger warning for you!! There's a quite a bit of violence and mentions of blood in this chapter, hope that's okay.

~

"She's right. He's gone." Peter walked out of Aslan's tent. After the dryad's visit, we quickly got dressed and informed the army.

"Then you'll have to lead us," Edmund demanded. "Peter, there's an army out there and it's ready to follow
you." Ed continued.

"He's right Peter, Aslan knew what he was doing," I added.

Peter shook his head.

"I can't." He sighed.

"Aslan believed you could. And so do I." Edmund looked at him. I put my hand on Peter's shoulder. "Me too, Peter." He placed his hand over mine and let out yet another sigh.

"The Witch's army is nearing, sire. What are your orders?" Oreius, who was standing next to us, asked. "Peter, come on." I encouraged him.

"Okay. we'll be in the front Oreius, as well as the other centaurs and fauns." He started explaining the plan while pointing at the map that was lying on the table. Peter's plan was absolutely genius, but I was sort of confused by his not mentioning me in it at all.

"Wait where do I fit into this? " I asked when Peter finished.

"Ehm that's the thing, you're not fighting." He answered

"Are you joking?" I snapped in anger. "We need every person we can get, I was supposed to be leading the archers did you forget?" The volume of my voice was getting higher and higher.

"Veronica-"

"No Peter! What does this all mean? I want to fight, why are you not letting me?" My face was probably getting all red from being so angry. I couldn't believe this at all.

"I'm not letting you fight because I don't want to lose you," Peter said calmly.

"And what about you fighting? Do you think that I'm not scared that you'll die?"

"It's not about that, and you know it," Peter said.

"Oh it is about that Peter." I snapped and walked back into our tent. My blood was boiling, I wanted to scream and cry and not stop. Why was he not letting me fight? I wanted to fight!

The flaps of the tent opened and I could already tell who entered. "Veronica please-"

"I want your explanation Peter." I turned to him giving him a sharp look. "Why?" I added, my eyes filling up with tears.

"I care about you," Peter whispered.

I laughed at his answer. "Well, you care about your siblings and you're letting Ed fight! If Susan was here you'd let her fight too. Then why not me?"

"It's not like that." He said with his eyes dropping to the floor.

"Do you think that I can't fight?" I asked

"No." He was still looking at the ground.

"Or do you not trust me?" A tear dropped down my cheek.

"No, I do trust you." He looked at me and I shooked my head.

"Well, if you trust me than-"

"Because I love you, Veronica." He snapped at me. "I've loved you ever since we first got here, since the moment you looked at me and comforted me. Since I got to know you properly."

I stood there, frozen. My heart was beating so fast you could for sure hear it from the outside of the tent. I didn't know what to answer. But then I shooked my head again.