Wild, Wild Forest

November 2015

EMMA

"OH, THAT'S SO NICE," Simone enthused, gasping at the colors of the eyeshadow palette. She closed it and hugged it. "Thank you so much, I love it!"

"You're welcome," I said. "Light shimmers are perfect for you."

A rowdy laugh broke at the snack table behind us, so I leaned over the couch to see what it was all about. A senior girl was yelling at Colt, liquor dripping down her lavender sweater. He took a wobbly step back, hands up while still holding the cup. I did not hear the following comment, but whatever it was, that girl was in no mood. 

"Go to hell, man! Or better yet, go home to your mommy and suck on her tit like you always do!"

And she was off in a myriad of screams around the table, leaving Colt red-faced, gaping like a fish. I felt embarrassed for him, but I wondered what in the world could he have done this time. 

The girl pushed out of the crowd. She headed straight for our group and plopped down, mouth pursed, legs crossed. 

"Do I want to know?" Simone asked. 

"No," came the reply, then she spotted the makeup palette in her lap. "Tarte's new release? Who spoiled you with this one?"

Simone pointed to me, and the girl smiled. They opened the lid again, discussing colors and youtube tutorials, to which I tuned out. The crowd in the living room parted to make place for a girl at the snacks, all legs and hair. A dainty wrist reached for the pretzel crisps.  

I picked my empty cup. "I'm going to get some water."

Hobbling around the couch, I joined the pack, one eye searching for the water gallon and the other trained on Lauren across from me. A string ran around her face and secured a birthday hat over her head ; she was one of the only ones still sporting it. She showed up to the party in a corset crop top and billowing pants rolled at the ankles, a snazzy cross between sweat pants and jeans. 

I remember buying those with her. Most of her closet didn't fit after a growth spurt. 

"Having fun?"

Her stare flicked up, vast and curious as they usually were, then veiled when it settled. My chest pinched. For days, she wouldn't come near, not like before. She wasn't dodging me, but this warmth I knew her for had dulled. 

"Yup," she said, and I couldn't hide the twitch in my brow. Since she offered her gift, Lauren pulled round trips from the table to her chair quietly. "And I'm hungry."

"You never stop eating. Lucky wench."

That drew a huff from her nostrils, then she went back to avoiding my eyes. I wanted to scream at her to see me, that she had so much explaining to do, that I deserved to know after what I've seen. How could she not realize that I was ready to listen, no matter how bad the story was? 

Chewing words back, I passed by a few classmates until I located the water. I ripped off the seal, about to pour in my cup. The dainty hand darted to the jug's underbelly.

"You'll drop it with one hand," Lauren mentioned over the music. "Let me."

Effortlessly, as she clutched her pretzel bowl, I felt her lift the heaviest part of the gallon and put it back in place once my cup was full. I leaned my back against the table and she mimicked me, side-by-side, stuffing another crisp in her mouth. 

I shook my head. "Is everything okay?"

 "Everything is fine."

"What I saw wasn't fine, Lauren."