17. Coming Out (sort of)

Informal context: Fast-forwarding before Roots turns into a full-blown novel. Basically, Raymond has recovered alright after respecting Heather's instructions and he got to keep his scar. Sadly, the hunters made a victim (Nigel, if you were wondering 😂😥 so RIP Nigel it was nice knowing you) but it also means they went away. For now. Lauren and Emma stay friendly at school, but Emma slowly starts noticing that there's something strange about her and her friends. There's also Luc still trying to push the two apart and scare Emma away. Lauren is sick of it, so she sneaks to Emma's house after school saying she has something important to tell her. 

(this is old unedited writing btw) 

Lauren's heart raced at the thought of it, but she maintained a straight face. She had to proceed with caution. Emma was delicate but a feeling told Lauren she could handle serious matters. Emma was frivolous, which some mistook for superficiality, but she was genuine and trustworthy. 

"I can explain... but you have to listen until the end."

Emma seemed taken aback. Blinking, she said, "This doesn't involve murder or something like that, right?"

"No," Lauren laughed. "Not at all."

Emma lived near Oakwood High, in a lovely, modest house on Golden Street. Her parents hadn't come back from work yet. Emma made it to her kitchen and took out a bag of chips with a grin. Lauren smirked.

"You know how to greet guests properly."

Emma giggled and they climbed up the stairs to her room. Lauren felt an overwhelming sense of anxiety wash over her, drowning in second thoughts. Was she really going to do this? The others might rip her head off. As she entered her friend's room, she saw a pile of magazines sprawled over the bed and a sewing machine on top of her desk with the beginning of what looked like a scarf.

"Cool room," she pointed out, assessing the pastel colours on the walls.

A whiteboard was pinned against one of them with the remnants of a half-erased skirt drawing. Emma plopped on a thick rug, back against the side of her bed. Lauren sat cross-legged in front of her.

"Thanks." She ripped open the bag of chips and offered her first. "So what was it you really wanted to tell me?"

Lauren didn't know how to start, what to say first. She never thought she'd do this willingly, and it was scary. What if she reacted wrong? What if she thought they were all freaks and would prove Luc right?

"Well... Have you ever noticed that there's something off or different about my brother and his friends?"

"Um... yeah... But you guys come from another state and you're always so tightly knit together. Even if people think it's weird, I... think it's okay."

Lauren suddenly gazed at Emma intensely. "It's true, but there's a reason for that. We are different from you."

"Different how?"

"Promise me you won't go nuts after I tell you."

Emma stopped chewing, her hold on the bag loosened. "You're scaring me."

"Don't be scared." She gave a small smile. "I wouldn't ever hurt you. We're afraid you could hurt us instead. It's the other way around."

She had a small burst of laughter. "I don't see how I could hurt anyone." She got serious and set the bag aside. "So what is it? What makes you different?"

"You can't tell anyone about this," Lauren warned. "Can't even write this in a journal or mention this to your hamster. That's what puts us in danger." She waited for Emma to promise, then she continued. "We are... not human kind of different. We're mutated humans. Our genes have been mutated."