Chapter Thirty - Sneak Out to The Party

RILEY

THURSDAY ENDED WITH BIOLOGY PERIOD. I ghosted everyone at the break to find Ben before his partner in crime would walk him to class. Even though I was Luc's partner, he didn't wait around or settle at our table until the bell rang.

The guy was finishing a bag of goldfish crackers at his locker, conversing with Ethan who I haven't spoken to since the Wanderer armageddon. I essentially had to wrestle Ben away from the fascinating realm of Skyrim fails once I reassured him it wasn't serious trouble.

"Off with you." Ben patted his back. "Grown-ups need to talk."

I grinned at the way the younger boy rolled his eyes.

"Whatever." And he pivoted in the hall, head taller than most others in his age group.

I waited for Ben to pack his crackers and dust his hands off, then we set out for the third floor.

"Well, what's that something you need help with? Something Luc can't deal with?"

I ran some fingers through my hair. Ah... no. It wasn't so much about dealing with it. Him or Devin was out of the question. I'd get ridiculed until I was a pile of ash on the floor if I admitted anything. Ben appeared to be my safest shot.

I freed my lip from between my teeth. Here goes. "Do you have sex with people?"

He passed me a side-eye, and I didn't blame him. "Twice a day, as my doctor prescribed. Why the sudden interest?"

I avoided a rabid junior sliding down the staircase rail, leaning toward the center. "You don't have any issues with... with abilities just going a little haywire?"

Together, we filed through the crowd and I had to fall in his shadow until we finally breached the floor. When I made it back to his side, Ben was spying me with an expanding smirk. "Oooh, I see what this is about." He stopped against the doorframe to our class. "You're asking for that human boy. It's getting serious?"

Time flied. The talk with Emma I'd long hoped for had impeded on my lunch break, and we normally used that window to be alone while the others were eating. In the middle of making out, he asked me if I could come to Colt's private get-together with him. It was mostly guys on the soccer team.

I felt terrible for sneaking out to train already and not being honest with Dad. Doing that for a party was double-cheating, but if I said no to the party, Adam might start thinking I didn't care again. I've blown him and the girls off so many times now...

I said yes. Just this once.

That cheered him up. He'd departed with one last meaningful kiss, saying, "We're catching up on Friday. That's a promise, Addison."

I smoothed a curl down, cheeks blazing. "Kind of. I'm just scared that something might... you know. What do I do?"

Ben jerked his head with a lopsided wince. "That's not really an issue if you're progressing with the training."

"I am. It's working and I still almost busted a bulb a while ago and I'm supposed to see him again soon. Man, I'm scared."

"Wait." He started to fight another smirk, and I sent him a glare of warning. It didn't stop his choked laugh in the slightest. "You acted up during sex?"

I smacked his arm and glanced around as students streamed inside Mr. Albini's classroom. The staircase at the other end opened to let in the lagging flock, and amid Ben's hysterical cackling I spotted black, loose tousles and a familiar forehead moving in.