Chapter Three - Took You Long Enough

RILEY

SOME DAYS, I felt stronger for having almost died. Other days, there was no stopping the emptiness and the residual fear with its sour taste. Even after three weeks, I saw the creatures behind my eyelids. In between blinks or in the depths of sleep. Their paralyzing roars crawled from the fringes of my mind, bringing to life the sharpness of those claws along the way. 

The bite on my forearm was no fair comparison. 

The feeling of growing cold on the concrete with a gaping, pulsing hole in my stomach would never leave me. But there was also that of warmth flooding my body, of being pulled back from the edge and held tight by someone with the power to disregard incoming death. 

I hadn't been strong enough to hold on my own. No shadow of a doubt. By myself, I would have crossed the line separating my life from the unknown. He'd reached out, strong enough for the both of us.

Today, I was restless and couldn't think of a better way to shake it off then to slave away at the pool. After running a series of lengths across my chosen lane, I stopped halfway and drew in air. I dipped under the surface and the sounds of limbs hitting water dulled all around. 

I arched my spine to counter the force dredging me back up, tracing a flip upside-down instead. A burn started in my lungs and chased the lurking image of the Wanderer away. When I finally breached, my palms touched the wet wall. My stare paused upon the floor's tiles as I pushed my arms over the ledge. 

Then it found that of the robust man in a jacket with the school's logo sitting on the front bench. 

I wasn't sure when he'd slipped in the natatorium, not like he needed a special reason. As the head of the swim team, Mr. Langdon obviously was a common sight here. My stomach roiled. 

My fingers clenched, and I launched backward for another full length, kicking up waves in my track. The water molded around my shape, guiding me through the strokes. Seconds later, my palms struck the wall again. Some kids had gathered to dry off or watch their friends swim. They watched me emerge from the pool and snatch my towel off a rod, wrapping it around me. 

If Coach had arrived, it was time for me to vacate. 

I slid on my flip-flops. I passed in front of the benches, working off the goggles and cap and wiping my face. A broad outline crept into the outer frame of my vision as I approached the girls' changing room. Something chilled within my sternum as I looked up from my towel. 

"Good afternoon, Riley." Mr. Langdon smiled. 

I mumbled likewise in return, but really, really wanting to throw him in the water instead. The way he'd slithered into Rita's mind was unforgivable. I didn't care if she thought she had control over it or had the impression this man would do anything for her. 

"Do you have a minute to speak with me? I know you've been hesitating about joining the swim team."

I made a move toward the door ahead. "I'm hungry."

He chuckled, and I pressed my lips against the desire to keep his head underwater. "Understandable, seeing how you gave the lane a run for its money." His smile broke off. "The time was better than Rita's."

I glanced at the ceiling. Don't do it, it's not worth it. Riley, don't do it...

I blocked the little voice and shot him a bare glower that any teacher would have taken as an affront, but not him. He didn't scare easily. He didn't give me that satisfaction.