Prologue: Five Years of Waiting

This prologue is written in Ethan's point of view.

— — —

Melbourne shines like how Rihanna says, "diamonds in the sky". I sip into the warmest coffee I got from grinding coffee at home. I slapped myself into the reality that...

... perhaps not every thing in the world is worth to stare.

I shrugged, kicked the stones lying on the floor and started to head upstairs. There I was, waiting for a response from the one I have been yearning to reply to me.

It has been five years since our last encounter in person. I was in the Philippines when it happened. When we had to part ways because of my family moving to Australia, we shared one last hug — as friends.

Now, five years later, i've been patiently waiting for the one whom I love so much, although she constantly replies to me. When I talk to my best friend, Paul, about her, I've always thought of reuniting with her.

It has always been her.

It has always been her whom I've been waiting all my life.

It has always been her, who had my heart secured.

"Bro, how's your day?" said Paul whom I interacted through video call.

"Day 2001 of missing her," I sighed. Yes, I do count how many days since our last interaction with her in person.

"Dude, what's with your obsession of that person?"

"I'm just..." I broke down into temporary tears. "I just... missed her so much."

"Bro, move on from Cherryl!"

"No! Cherryl has been part of my life, and always has been my life."

"Probably she has someone now."

"I am NOT allowing that to happen." I tear a portion of my paper, signing rage in my heart that I wouldn't be able to see my precious more. "I love Cherryl so much, dude!"

"Love what?!" Paul jumped out of his swiveling chair. "Dude, I can't believe it!"

"Didn't you even notice it?" I said. "I've fallen in love with Cherryl so much already!"

"You fell in love with that person?"

"I do. It's impossible not to fall in love with he—"

"Ethan, your tone!"

"I'm packing right now. I'm going back to the Philippines without letting my parents know." I attempted to leave my chair but then he stopped me.

"Dude, calm down! You'll see her soon!"

"It's been five years, Paul." I scolded. "I can not wait for another five years to come without seeing my precious."

I pulled out a ring that she gave from five years ago, and yet I still wear it, wishing that Cherryl will pop right into my door and finally share another kiss that I craved in the past.

Ever since I moved here, I've dated a lot of girls, mostly temporary ones. I would never allow myself to get distracted from her, but I couldn't just do so because Cherryl is in my mind.

Maybe a face wash would heal me, but I can't.

It hurts me to see her dating Emil, the one whom I had been angry for all this time. He stole her away from me.

... to the point I almost threaten Emil to kill him if he isn't breaking up with her.

Luckily, one night, she messaged me. Our last message was on five days ago. Although I've been counting all the days that I'm not with her, she still constantly replies to me, only on some days. She called me without a reminder, and I immediately answered.