Chapter Eight: Huge Space

This chapter is written from Ethan's point of view.

— — —

Time seems to tick so fast when I found myself inside my condominium. Now that we are engaged and such, and with me staring at the window, longing for her presence, it was all bland and colourless. She was a way for a few hours to grab her own stuffs for a sleepover. The moment she went away, I felt empty.

Last night was the best night I could ever have. For the very first time in five years, we had a pillow fight in the best and loving way. We were too exhausted after that, so she drifted off to sleep earlier than me. I was watching some movies before I fell asleep as well, but when I was about to go to sleep, she held me. She laid on my right shoulder to join me in watching movies, and it did lost my ability to feel sleepy.

I called my mum, who was aware that I was dating Cherryl but unknown of how many years, and to her surprise, she was raising her eyebrow all the time when she answered my call.

"Oh, Ethan!" my mum was taking care of Sebastian when she answered. "How's Cherryl? Did you visit her?"

"She came to visit me, mum," I answered.

"I thought you're in Lanao?"

"No, mum! I'm in Cebu!"

"Oh!" was none but Sebastian's answer. He popped into the conversation unnoticed. He knew all of this and even get to spill the secret that I've been having for 5 years. He noticed that I was wearing a ring. "Mum, bro's getting married!"

"Wait, what?" she took it from him and looked at me. "Are you engaged?!"

"Mom, she hasn't proposed yet! This was the promise ring she gave me about 5 years ago!"

"When did you guys started dating?" Seb asked, and I was getting confused again.

"How did you know all of this?" I asked as well. Seb pointed his index finger to my mum.

"So it was suspicious that you are dating that girl, huh?" mum laughed. "The last time I ever heard you cry was all because of Cherryl, saying, 'Oh, Cherryl. Please let me have you in my life.'."

I felt embarassed by her words, and then I said, "Mum, I was sober at that time. Please do not believe any of the words I've said when I was drunk."

"I'm aware that you want to marry Cherryl, but anytime you are ready, then pop that question."

"Actually..." I scratched my head. "I just proposed to her a few days ago."

"Where is she?" she asked.

"She went home," my response turning into a sad one.

"Did you miss her?" she asked.

I stopped speaking since then. Ever since I have her, I always have the feeling of huge space around me whenever she is not around. I feel very sad, but I had to move forward, thinking that she will be back soon.

"I always do." I said to them. "There is no day nor night will I not miss the woman I love the most."

"Whaaaat?" Sebastian halted my emotional phase. His responses always make me laugh in such an uncontrollable way.

"Seb, that tone!" my mum scowled.

I just laughed. "Mum, it's okay. I miss you both scowling me."

"You're sometimes stubborn, Ethan, that's why," her tone turned into a concerned one. "Your decisions are sometimes the reason why we turned so concerned towards you. You never consulted us for anything, nor you would say you'll likely depart Australia to visit there."