Chapter | Two

Benjamin

"Back to living in tents and cardboard boxes," Mary says. I look down at my small girl tagging along beside me. I can sense her aggravation, though I know that deep down she won't doubt my motives.

When we heard the news, I thought it was best to leave the shelter as soon as possible. When you allow yourself to be comfortable in temporary situation you get attached and it becomes harder to let go. That's why I always remind Mary that all good things must come to an end.

"Don't always expect the best. There is nothing wrong with sleeping on city grounds. It's far better than lying somewhere in a ditch," I state. She raises her eyebrow at me as if I said a bad word.

"Just forget it Mary!" I raise my voice. Walking in one hundred degree weather in the dead of summer is not making it easier on my nerves. I immediately feel sweat dripping down my back.

"But I didn't say anything," she says with her head down. I put my around her small body holding her close. I can be hard on her, it's only because I'm trying protect her. Lately, it feels like she's been more protective of me. My little lady is so young and helpless. In spite of 'trying' to be tough. One would think she would be 'rough and tough' growing up in the streets. In reality, she is fragile and dependent.

Mary holds my arm as we walk the busy streets, crowed with tourists and civilians. The amount of homeless out here is increasing every second. People holding cardboards signs or any material; trying to get sympathy from others. There's a woman half naked and delusional roaming around. I try to cover her eyes, instead she laughs and removes my hand from her face.

I'm sure she'd seen worse.

I never had it in me to beg someone for money or food because I had my own ways of getting it.

I check my pockets finding a few dollars that is just enough for Mary and I to catch the bus.

Later, we reach the nearest bus stop bench and settled there. I am grateful to rest for a bit due to the long miles we've traveled. I drop all of my weight on the bench to find some relief.

"Dad, are you okay? you look tired," she questions. I shake my head and straighten my posture.

"You haven't had anything to eat," she sits next to me and puts her hand in mine. The difference in size is like comparing a lime to a grapefruit.

-||-

We wait in silence, watching the city bus appear in front of us. I'm planning to return to grace town. Within, there is a small homeless community, where Mary and I lived on and off for several years. I consider it a safe space to hideout.

Before I hand the driver cash in exchange for a ticket, I ask Mary to check the destination sign to make sure we're getting on the right Metro Bus. A smile graces her face when she notices where we're headed. I step foot on the bus and all the seats are filled which gave us the only option of standing. I grab on to the supporting yellow pole and Mary uses my arm for support.

"I cannot wait to see Elaine. I missed her," she yawns and raises her arms up to stretch. Then rests her head on my arm.

"Are you still having nightmares?" I ask, looking down at her. Mary tells me she's been having the same nightmare for a week now. I honestly wouldn't think too much of it.

"Mhmm," she trails off, looking out the window.

"Don't think about it too much. Okay?" I pat her head to try to keep her focused.