Chapter | Twenty three

Maryanne

Yesterday, Angeline and I ate pizza and watched a lot of movies. She made me an ice cream sundae and she painted my nails and toes a sparkly purple color. I never thought I'd say it, but I had a fun time. I was comfortable enough to share some of my personal experiences with her. What I didn't expect was her telling me that she loves me. I recalled her saying it that night I eavesdropped on her rant with Dario, then again yesterday.

On to the bad news. Some stranger they call neighbor is coming over to 'babysit' me. It's ridiculous. I'm thirteen years old, I've survived living on the streets, so I think I can handle being in a house alone for a couple of hours. It's a lot safer than outside. If they are afraid that someone might to break in and kidnap me, then what's the point of having a security system.

"Please, don't give me those eyes, sweetheart. You are going to make me change my mind," she holds my chin up.

"Don't fall for it," He tells Angeline. I thought he'd change his mind too.

Rude!

"Mary it's only till nine. Would you rather have our neighbor come here or send you to their house? Those are your only options because we won't allow to sit here by yourself," he says.

"I won't be by myself, Lola and Frenchie are here," I attempt to convince him.

"That doesn't count. They may be big, but they can only do so much," he turns to the kitten in the corner grooming herself.

"Dario, please," I beg.

"No, bambina. End of discussion". And just like that I flop down on the couch. Angeline comes over to comfort me.

"Angie. She'll be fine".

"Okay," before she cease from rubbing my arm and kissing my face, She whispers in my ear. "I'll bring back dessert okay. It's just for tonight, honey". I nod my heady giving angry eyes at Dario. When did he become so mean.

"No pouting. Young lady. Gemma is coming right about now".

Just as he says it, the camera announced her presence then the door bell rings. Dario walks off to answer the door and Angeline gives me a sympathetic look. I hear greetings from afar then I'm graced with a tall, pale skinned and oranged haired girl. She's wearing a large olive green hoodie and baggy jeans and carrying a phone in her hand. Angeline gives her a hug and kiss her on both sides of her face.

"Thanks for coming to babysit our little one. How's your mother?" She ask.

Little one? I'm not two.

"She's a lot better. The doctor said that she be able to use the scooter once her leg heals a bit. I'm just happy to get out of the house. She's been driving me crazy. Our house isn't big enough for me to hide away from her". Angeline awes.

She acknowledges me and waves. I awkwardly wave back.

Angeline formalizes an introduction, "Gemma, this is Maryanne. Mary, this is Gemma".

Gemma grins, "Nice to meet you. It's about time we get more kids around here, all my friends live a lot further away". Okay, she doesn't seem too bad.

After making small talk, Dario announce that it was time for them to go.

"Gemma you know your way around so it would be much trouble. Just make sure she eats and don't worry about bedtime we should be back around nine," Angeline informs. I can go to bed at any time. It just so happens that ever since I moved here, I unintentionally fall asleep earlier than I used to.

"Of course, Mrs. Morello. Me and the little one will be great". I roll my eyes. I take back what I said. Angeline and Dario says goodbye and I watch them leave out the front door. Do they expect me to trust her right off the bat?