Chapter | Thirty four

Angeline

I am bringing Mary to her first hair appointment. Whenever she's in a bigger mood, it's most convenient to make the necessary arrangements pertaining to her. I read that it is a must for her to get a trim often to maintain her curly hair. One of the many things I love about her is her crowing glory. In the only picture I have of Mary as a baby, her hair was dark and full of loose ringlets. She was such a cute baby. I can't take back what had occurred in the past, all I can do now is enjoy her the best way that I can. Motherhood was stripped from me prematurely and I want to claim it back with her.

I escorted her into the new salon that served me well recently. A great detail about them is their ability to cater to all hair types. The stylists welcome us in. The interior is organized and professional, still incorporating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

"I have an appointment under Angeline Morello for my girl," I rub Mary on the back and I smile kindly at the man at the desk, I forget his name. Yet, I will always remember his hair that is two opposite shades of blue, and double nose piercing.

"I remember you!" He says in a preppy voice. "What is she here for?" he smiles at Mary.

"A wash and trim," I run my hands through her hair.

"Alright! You are booked under Abigail. She is going to be doing her hair. Once she's done with her person she'll call you in". Abigail, a young woman of a light caramel skin tone who has hair similar to Mary's wave at us.

We sit down and wait no longer than five minutes before Mary was called to the chair. "Have you had your hair done at a salon before Mary?" Abigail ask.

She shakes her head.

"What do you plan on doing to it?" Abigail questions me and starts putting her hands through Mary's hair feeling the texture and fluffing it out.

"I would like for her to get the ends trimmed. You see, I'm still learning about her hair. I try to style it and keep it manangble the best possible way. I wash it every two weeks," I explain.

"Thats good. She definitely needs a good trim and I want to give her a deep hair treatment also. Her hair is a bit frizzy and dull. The treatment reduce the frizz and will allow any product to set better in her hair. Sounds good?". I nod my head. Mary is gazing at Abigail as she is seeking to ask her something.

"What is it that you want to ask?, honey" I prompt to Mary.

"Can I have my hair like yours?" she is referring to the young lady's lovely curls that rest on her collar bone.

"Yes, you can your hair like mines, but it is a lot shorter than yours. You have to see what your mom thinks". Mary turns to look at me and I held in every emotion. She didn't flinch or bat an eye when Abigail called me mom.

"You want to cut your hair sweet girl?" I wouldnt know if this was ever the first time she cut her hair. This was one of our misfortune's—missing out on her life's experience.

"I want to do something different,"she shrugs and flips her hair. Both of us chuckle at her gutsy attitude. I'm going to miss her long hair. I can't deny her of doing what she wants.

Abigail shows me an assuring smile after noticing my yielding demeanor. It's like she could read my mind.

I watch Abigail wash, condition and do deep treatment with Mary hair does it so flawlessley. She makes light conversation with Mary as she comb and brush her hair effortlessly—Shaping and trimming it with ease. Afterwards, Abigail smooths the product in. Lastly, drying it precisely with a device known as a diffuser and scrunches her hair in the palm of her hands.