Chapter | Twenty five

Maryanne

The house seems a lot bigger at night with only limited lighting. I fell asleep pretty early. I dont know what time of night it it , but I woke up and felt dry sensation in my mouth creeping up. When I was sneaking into the kitchen, I overheard Angeline talking with someone on the phone."What happened? Do I need to pick him up or...Okay, get here safe, bye". She is wearing her long black satin robe. To avoid getting caught, I steadily made a U-turn back to my room. Too bad my feet likes to make a pitter-patter sound when I walk on the tile, unless she has really great hearing.

"Mary?" She call out. "What are you doing up? it's a quarter to ten". I don't even know what that means. I stopped and turned around. Her expression is considerably undisturbed.

"I-im thirsty," I stutter.

"Oh, I'll get you some water," She enter the kitchen, retreive a small glass cup and fill it up, "Here you go honey" .

"Thank you," I chug down the water and sigh with satisfaction.

"Better?" she smile smugly. I nod.

"By this time, I'm usually waiting for Dario. I got off the phone with his associate and he said that Dario ate something bad and his stomach has been running off," She describe. "He was so weak that he couldn't drive for himself".

"Did he throw up?" I asked holding the empty glass in my hands.

"I'm quite sure," she takes the cup from me. "Why don't I take you back to bed". I m not tired and I don't think I can go back to sleep after knowing that Dario isn't well.

"Can I stay up and wait for Dario to come?" I put on my soft voice and genuine smile.

"Ummm, okay. But I want in bed before midnight. I need you right as rain in the morning" Works for me. I think I'm going to use that tactic more often.

She set out medicine and prepares tea for Dario in her kitchen. By that time, Lola starts pawing at the pantry with upright ears. "Princess you ate already. It's bedtime," Angeline says, while setting the kettle on the stove top. Lola relies on meowing and rubbing her body against Angeline's leg. She sighs, "Mama has you spoiled," she mumbles. She caves and ask me to get a small treats for Lola and Frenchie.

I go in the pantry and scoop out the bite sized treats out of the white jar that is labeled 'Small Cat Treats'. Lola sits outside the door to watch me. I throw it down for her and look for Frenchie, finding her asleep on the ottoman. I inform Angeline of her state and she tells me to give the rest to Lola."No more for you missy," I say to the kitten.

Angeline examines the security footage on the screen in the kitchen. "They're here," she scurry away to the front door and I follow behind. The outdoor lamps automatically turn on to brighten up the driveway and I now can clearly see Dario slowly coming out of the car. He starts power walking like an old man,"You alright. Dar?".

He shakes is head and sprints his way into the house,"Can't talk right now".

A man appears out of the driver side in a dress shirt and tie. He looks around the same age as Dario, if not younger. Angeline addresses him as Joshua.

"It was coming out of both ends," I make out their conversation—distance away. He gives her a set of keys.

"Do you need a ride back?" She ask. I shiver when a wave of cool air hits my body.

"No, I'll call an Uber," he rubs the back of his neck and cover his mouth when he yawns.

"Okay, come inside and make youself comfortable," Angeline offers. They tread near the space I'm standing.